Question

Multiple Room Trueplay tuning for "mobile" Play 1

• 29 May 2017
  • 8 replies

Is it possible to set up more than one Trueplay tuning for one speaker? Reason: moving Play 1 from inside room to deck, and want to be able to access the different tuning profiles without going through the entire process each time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In a word No. You will have to tune it after every move.
But it's been requested as a feature before, and acknowledged. I think there might be memory constraints on each speaker that make it harder than not to do.
I doubt that Trueplay's IIR filters take up much space, and the memory-constrained older players aren't Trueplay compatible.

A practical consideration is simply that, unless each location is clearly marked out, a speaker (or speakers) is likely to be plonked down in a different position from that for which it was tuned. A displacement of a few inches could make quite a difference to Trueplay's room compensation calculations.
I suggest tuning it for the place where it spends the most time, and toggling off Trueplay when moved away; on return, place it back in the same place, and toggle Trueplay on again.
So, you think that the information for Trueplay is stored only on the speaker's its assigned to, as opposed to distributed across all speakers? I'd have assumed it would be easier to handle in code like a playlist, and reside "everywhere", but I guess you could convince me that it's only in one place. Hmmm. I need to pay someone at Sonos for a day long seminar explaining all sorts of things to me. 🙂
So, you think that the information for Trueplay is stored only on the speaker's its assigned to, as opposed to distributed across all speakers?
I can't imagine why it would want to be stored anywhere but on the player (or bonded set of players) in question. It's useless to any other player, so why bother mirroring it to all the nodes in the system?
I'd certainly agree, that makes sense, although it seems like it would be necessary to write a new bit of code that is specifically for that bit of data in only one location, since everything else lives across all. Or at least maybe everything else. I'm not sure. Certainly not impossible, but I can see it working either way.
Of course there are settings which are local to specific players, vol/EQ being an obvious example. Look in x.x.x.x:1400/status.