mandatory software updates

• 16 January 2018
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
Is it possible to stop the mandatory software updates? I would prefer to decide when and if I update my controller and system software. As I see it if I am happy with how my system is working why should I go through the hassle and risk making my system worse. I am very unhappy with the last iOS APP and the only reason I updated it was because the old app stopped working SONOS said they need it running on the latest software. It would make sense for SONOS to notify me of a update but until I decide to do the update my system should still be functional.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your unhappy with the last version (and it certainly has its navigation issues) I certainly wouldn't stop updating now as we should be getting an update to that one soon that resolves a lot of the navigation issues.

But you can go into settings...advanced.. and turn off Auto Check for Updates. With that turned off you should only have to update if you add new equipment (it will force you then).

But I would say - don't stop now - your at the early release stages in the current version. I would wait until this version matures some before thinking about stopping updates.
Userlevel 3
Badge

But you can go into settings...advanced.. and turn off Auto Check for Updates. With that turned off you should only have to update if you add new equipment (it will force you then) .

If you turn off auto updates in settings you will only be forced if adding new equipment.

This should not be the case. This has caused me the most problems in the past.

It should not be this way. It's my gear. If I want to keep from updating to a new version of code, for any reason, that is my right. It's my equipment and it's my network. The way Sonos does updates causes more problems than it solves.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What not be the case ... having to turn off auto update. Not sure what you are saying. Turn off auto update in Sonos. And turn off auto updates in your App Store you won’t have to update (don’t know why you wouldn’t but your option)
Badge +1
I have a Sonos Connect that wants to update but it won’t. It keeps failing. Can I turn that off so I can at least use it? Not bothered about having the latest software on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Usually if I have a stubbornnunit hooking via Ethernet to router will get t to update properly.
Badge +1
I’ve tried that. Also set up a hotspot off my phone and connected it to that to fool it into thinking it was on a different network. Nothing works. I find it hard to believe there isn’t a solution to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hooked to router and on phone you go to update. Says updating and eventually fails?
Badge +1
Yes. It fails half way through the update and says error code 4. Sonos have tried to update it over the phone remotely but they can’t do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Didn’t they push it up to higher tech support.
Badge +1
Yes. It was them who advised me to set up a hotspot. Prior to that they installed a program on my laptop and accessed it remotely to try and force an update but it wouldn’t have it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So they say next step?
Badge +1
Exchange it for a new one. £249.
Hey there, andylane68. Thanks for posting about this! I was able to dig a little deeper into the ticket to get a bit more insight. I see that you are working with one of our original ZP80 units and that some of the memory has gone bad, preventing it from updating. In this situation, the best course of action would be to replace the unit.

That being said, if you would like to go ahead and get that replacement processed I'll be happy to assist. You’ll also be getting the updated model of the ZP80, called the Connect.

Feel free to let me know.
Badge +1
It depends how much the exchange unit will cost.
Plus any applicable taxes.
Badge +1
No thanks. Too expensive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Plus any applicable taxes.

Keith N

You might like to consider that UK Law means that the quoted price must INCLUDE VAT (which would be the "applicable tax" in the UK).
Stuart_W: Good to know! That price should include VAT and shipping costs, however, local taxes may apply. Although, I’m in the US and don’t normally handle replacement pricing. That’s a different team which would be sending a follow-up email as part of the replacement process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a £100 discount to get new and replace nearly 10 year old model.
Badge +1
£309new. It’s not £100 cheaper.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I thought they were £349 new
Badge +1
I’ve seen them for £309. The point is, some owners on here have had Play 5s exchanged for £99 and they want £249 for a Connect that’s only another £50 new. Where’s the logic in that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would say because play:5 a lot newer. Your unit they haven’t sold forever. So your not getting exact replacement