Question

Lock volume from kids

• 2 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Hey y'all, Is there a way that I can prevent my teenager daughter from pi55ing the neighbors off whilst I'm away on business by having the music too loud? Each room as a Sonos 1 in and the lounge as a Sub, Playbar and 2 x S:3's but she groups all of them together and has the music loud. Is there a way I can lock the volume control to a level that will prevent this happening? I think it would be a great feature to have any help would be awesome. Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

There's nothing currently in the software that will allow you to do this, no. But it's been suggested several times, and the Sonos folks have said they've presented the request to the dev team.
Thank you for the reply.
You're most welcome. I hope you're able to have a discussion with your daughter in the meantime.

One of the interesting things about Sonos almost never telling us what they're working on is that we're sometimes surprised when a feature gets release. i suppose it's possible that something like this will be in a software release, but I couldn't even begin to say it would be tomorrow, next month, or next year....much less at all. Just that they've heard the request before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could get a connect and Bluetooth wireless headphones for her birthday/xmas prezzie ;O)
Hey y'all, Is there a way that I can prevent my teenager daughter from pi55ing the neighbors off whilst I'm away on business by having the music too loud? Each room as a Sonos 1 in and the lounge as a Sub, Playbar and 2 x S:3's but she groups all of them together and has the music loud. Is there a way I can lock the volume control to a level that will prevent this happening? I think it would be a great feature to have any help would be awesome. Thank you

I don't own one of these, but I've heard that Hushbox solves this issue
http://hushlabs.ca
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Changing the wifi password will help - put her on a guest network until she learns.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I could write you an app that detects when any Sonos volume exceeds a given amount and reduces it. It would cost you real money though (ie not 99c).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Changing the wifi password will help - put her on a guest network until she learns.

She can still walk up to any speaker and press the hardware volume buttons. My "solution" would also prevent that option.

She can still walk up to any speaker and press the hardware volume buttons. My "solution" would also prevent that option.

Iirc as of 7.2 you can disable the hardware buttons of players in room settings.

So kicking kids to their own network could work, but suppose the Playbar could still be played loud if you forget to put it on mute or low volume.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Indeed, it's right there in the settings...