Question

Latest update (8.1): screwed up the sound?

• 23 October 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hey,

I just updated to the latest Sonos controller software on my laptop about five minutes ago and for some reason it has had the following affects on my system:

Sub-Woofer: completely lost all 'oomph!' - it's actually hard to tell whether it's on or off now.
Surround Speakers (Two Play 1s): Sound coming out all crackly and muted.
Playbar: same issues as surround speakers.

Overall the sound is generally just more muted, and the bass is now weak across the whole system, even if I turn the sub-woofer up full, you can barely hear the bass.

It's a real shame because the last couple of updates seemed to really boost the sound quality overall, but this latest sound is crap.

And before anyone asks: No, I have not done anything to the equipment, literally just updated the software.

Is there a way to roll-back to the previous update? Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers,
Andy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
In fact it seems the sub-woofer isn't doing anything at all... I can feel the unit shaking as if its out-putting sound, but I am not convinced it actually is.
No update in the last 18 months or so has done anything to the sound quality, for better or for worse.

And my Sub never shakes: only the driver cones inside do and can be felt as moving air if a hand is placed across the ports. In fact not shaking is a Sub USP.

I suggest posting a diagnostic with the music playing in this distorted fashion and sending it to Sonos via email and posting the number here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
No update in the last 18 months or so has done anything to the sound quality, for better or for worse.

And my Sub never shakes: only the driver cones inside do and can be felt as moving air if a hand is placed across the ports. In fact not shaking is a Sub USP.

I suggest posting a diagnostic with the music playing in this distorted fashion and sending it to Sonos via email and posting the number here.

I can only speak for myself, but the last update definitely improved the sound. Both my partner and I noticed it immediately and found we could actually lower the sound on the TV to get the same result.

This one has definitely done the exact opposite of that.
I noticed the same issue with my play5. The quality of the sound got worst after I updated. Before the update, it was difficult to tell where the sound came because it filled all ambiance. After the update I can tell where is it in my living room. :?
100% experiencing this issue as well. Used to be in love with my 5.1 system and now it's lost its punch completely. The sub has lost its low frequencies and everything sounds hollow. Need an update asap or im ditching this system.
May I suggest that there's some other issue you're experiencing? I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss? I've got 2 separate 5.1 Sonos systems, and both are working without any compromises.
May I suggest that there's some other issue you're experiencing? I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss? I've got 2 separate 5.1 Sonos systems, and both are working without any compromises.

The issue is constant. Its a constant state of degraded sound quality. I posted on another thread where many experiencing the same.
Understood. I hope you've provided some data for Sonos to look at to perhaps figure out what the issue is. All the programmers I've worked with over the years have always told me "if I can't experience the issue, or see it in code, it doesn't exist".

The issue is constant. Its a constant state of degraded sound quality. I posted on another thread where many experiencing the same.

I'm afraid this doesn't address what was asked, that is, could you submit a diagnostic and post the reference number. That will allow Sonos techs to check the status of your system and possibly find the cause of the problem.
I believe he/she did, in the other thread. I seem to recall that from last night.