Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) no longer supported by Sonos controller app

• 29 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know how or if we can return to an earlier version of the controller app? This is an older kindle but still works and it's the most convenient way for me to use my Sonos. Worked fine until Friday.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello there, Lynjo. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. There isn't a way to go back to an older version of the Sonos Controller App. Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.
Feel like Sonos has ripped me a new one. Neither my phone nor my Kindle is supported after last Sonos update. Sorry I just bought a third speaker now. Is Sonos truly sorry for the "inconvenience" this has caused? I'm thinking "not so much."
Yes. SONOS has ripped us ALL a new one. We make hardware decisions based on current hardware controllers and we expect that "then current" configuration to be supported throughout the life of the hardware. In this case ... SONOS (the hardware) has chosen NOT to support its customers who made a decision to implement SONOS into their application based on then current controllers. This is an unusual case and cannot be compared to ... for example Apple updates onto their own hardware...which is what the SONOS representative relied on while he was trying to JUSTIFY to me SONOS's complete disregard for supporting their hardware based on controller decisions made by customer at time of SONOS purchase.
This not cool on SONOS part. And super not cool that they do not allow a rollback to the previous Software version.
No thanks SONOS. We will not be adding any further SONOS product to our current portfolio until we are guaranteed of future consistent controller support.
I just called for support and was refused, because I use a Kindle Fire for the controller. Like others, it was supported and worked when I bought it, and was part of the decision to go with Sonos in the first place. I suppose I should be happy we got the upgrade to 8.4, but it's odd to get an update on an unsupported system. For the record, the only thing I know isn't working is that no album art shows up. Pandora and Amazon music skip now and then, but I doubt that's the Kindle.

Why, Sonos? Why?