Answered

iPhone Volume Buttons Don't Work

Badge
Hi,

I have seen similar topics on here regarding this issue but think this one is unique.

I received my Play:1 & 3 yesterday and set them up fine. At this point my iPhone 6 was able to adjust the volume using the physical buttons.

Later that day I set my girlfriend's iPhone 6 up and realised that my buttons no longer worked. I have reset the app, re-downloaded it, even factory reset both speakers and set it up again.

As it stands her phone can control the volume but mine cannot.

Is there anyway to resolve this so that both phones can use the physical buttons to control the volume?

Thanks in advance for any help.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 April 2016, 13:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Did you try completely shutting off your iPhone and leaving it off (30 secs) and switching it back on again? ... Also check the following in Settings/Sounds .. "Change with Buttons" toggle switch is turned on.

Note you can only change the Sonos audio whilst the app is running on screen, it will not work when the app is in the background or closed (obviously).

Hope that helps.
Badge
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've tried everything above and now for some reason my sonos product page has duplicated the number of controllers registered (only set it up on two phones but now I four controllers against my account).

Tried tweeting sonos and they didn't know what to do either.
It sounds to me like you have a few issues here. I personally would start again... It sounds like your girlfriends phone was setup as a new Sonos network instead of being added to an existing one.

This is what I would do:

Uninstall the controller software on both your phones.

Switch off BOTH speakers and move one to near your router and connect it with an Ethernet cable (leave it switched off)

Now go through the hardware reset procedure for just the speaker plugged into the router... I will send you the instructions to do that in a personal message. Give me one second or two to send it.

After the hardware reset and with the other (non-wired) speaker still switched off ... Install your Sonos controller software just on your phone only and setup a new Sonos network and add your speaker that's cabled into the router.

When complete I would then do the hardware reset on the non-wired speaker (there is no need to wire that one to the router) ... Set that speaker up on your phone by adding it to your existing Sonos network... You do that in the settings/add player or sub (see the message I sent you).

Okay when done, your phone will be working fine with your two speakers.

Now download the Sonos controller again on your girlfriends phone but this time add her controller to the existing Sonos network... Do NOT create another network.

The girlfriends phone controller will set itself up automatically and will literally end up as a copy of your phone controller settings.

Now move the speakers to where you want them ... No need to leave one cabled anymore though it is a good idea to have one Sonos device cabled to the router, if possible.

All should now work fine!

Ken Griffiths

Note: when you un-cable/move your speakers, switch them off and when you plug them back in, wait a minute or two for them to sort themselves out before using your phone controllers.
Badge
Hi,

Again thanks for the detailed response, I have tried all of the above just now and the issue persists. I am at a loss now.

Not only did it now work but it has created another 2 controllers registered against my account (again, only actually have two iPhones in the house).

This is not a great start.
TomPurcell,

Yes and I have several Sonos products on my online device list that I no longer own, or have since returned to Sonos for replacement... It's a list of past/present hardware and software.

Have your tried my instructions step by step?... It should sort your iPhone sound control problems, me thinks. Hopefully it will sort your online controller software lists too. If your not happy and like things tidy perhaps Sonos will remove the old entries for you, but it won't make a difference as to how your speakers and controllers are working at home.
Note: I see you are also using a MAC PC controller ... You will need to reset that controller too for it to see your Sonos system... Do that last, having gone through the reset procedure I described.

There are reset procedures for all the Sonos Software controllers but it's sometimes easier to go through the uninstall/reinstall procedure, particularly when the controller was not working correctly with the hardware in the first place ... And you had already uninstalled/installed the software three times according to your profile.

Hope that helps
One thing to add perhaps is, you may have set up your software controllers in a certain way, such as you may have setup your MAC controller first, then the thing to do is check your phone is on the same local network as your MAC and add your iPhone to the 'Existing' Sonos system. Then you do likewise with your girlfriends phone ensuring she is on the same network and not say a guest network... It's important to add to the existing Sonos setup and not create a new one.

It's also important to make sure each device on your network has a separate IP address and that things are not duplicated.

When resetting any one device (a phone, the MAC or speaker etc) it's important to continue to put things back on the original existing Sonos system setup and not create a new one..

I suspect you tried to create a new Sonos System somewhere along the way, instead of adding to one that already existed and this might have arisen out of an initial software glitch on your iPhone ...

Hence my thoughts here were to start-over again with you... The software being registered in your profile is not a big issue... It just shows where you uninstalled and reinstalled things.

My main aim was to get you up and running and working correctly.

You can ring Sonos afterwards and see if they can tidy up your online profile, if that concerns you, but it won't affect the operation of your system.
Badge
Hi Ken,

I'll take you through the steps that have occurred since the speakers were received yesterday:

Both speakers and phone were working seamlessly yesterday morning

I then added my girlfriends phone to the existing network (didn't create a new one)

Layer realised my volume buttons stopped working within the app.

I then reset everything (factory reset both speakers and controllers)

I them set them back up, registering them to a different email address. No luck.

Factory reset them again yesterday putting them back to my email - no luck.

Thus morning for about 10 seconds the volume worked. I walked to my kitchen and attempted adjusting the volume again but by now it has resorted to not working.

Today I followed your instructions and reset everything again but unfortunately only my girlfriend's phone buttons work.

Since the volume worked briefly this morning I wonder if my phone is the problem (it's on ios 9.3.2 which is a beta release but until I added a second controller there were no issues)

Also curious is that in my phone settings, when I check my sonos app it states that my Sonos id is not connected but when I'm in the app it does see both speakers and playlists etc so not sure if that's an issue.

Again, thank you for your help do far. I do appreciate it.
TomPurcell

Oh and switching off your speakers and putting them back on, one at a time in the reset process would also sort out any IP address conflicts beginning with the one speaker cabled to your router.

I appreciate you have had an unfortunate first-time experience with your Sonos products, but it's really a minor glitch and it shouldn't take things away from the future enjoyable listening-experience that you will get from your speakers... In fact these things can help people to 'learn' a lot quicker about the products, so think of this issue as a the beginning of a learning curve and take the 'positives' from it.
TomPurcell

Here you say ...
"Also curious is that in my phone settings, when I check my sonos app it states that my Sonos id is not connected but when I'm in the app it does see both speakers and playlists etc so not sure if that's an issue".

Where do you mean, when you say... 'in my phone settings’?? .. You obviously don't mean the Sonos app.
Reading your post, TomPurcell, of the things you did etc. The uninstalling/installing and switching your email accounts etc. I think you got yourself and the Sonos system in a bit of a 'pickle' ...

Not to worry though, I am fairly confident that my reset procedure sent to you by personal message and the instructions in my second post to you above, will resolve your issues. You need to follow the instructions 'exactly' step-by-step and stick to one email address (your main one). Leave your MAC PC off too and sort that afterwards as I described above.

Forget about the online registration of the software controllers, under your different email addresses in your profile for now, that perhaps can be sorted out with Sonos Support later. They will know which ones to remove (all except the last two and your MAC PC) ... Assuming they can remove them that is, without the help of a Sonos DBA.

Let me know how you get on.
Badge
Hi Ken,

I've just tried the app again despite not resetting the speakers since this afternoon (after your helpful instructions) and for some reason it appears to have sorted itself out.

All I can say is thanks for your time. You've been quite patient and very helpful!
Well okay Tom, good luck. I am more than happy to help a fellow Sonos user anytime.
TomPurcell.

I appreciate your matter is now sorted, but I was going through some other things this afternoon and I stumbled upon another thing on the iPhone device, which relates to controlling the volume of Sonos speakers with the iphone hardware buttons.

You can apparently go into the iPhone SETTINGS (grey cog icon) and scroll down the list of applications on the left hand side until you see Sonos (The list of apps is in alphabetical order). If you select the Sonos app here it displays some further options including a toggle button, to switch on/off the hardware volume control.

I thought it worth mentioning here for information purposes.

Ken Griffiths
Another thing you may try is to see if your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to a nearby audio device. Mine was still connected to a sound bar, and this overrode the volume control for Sonos. I disconnected the phone from the sound bar by turning off its Bluetooth connection and the volume control worked fine again with the Sonos.
Did you try completely shutting off your iPhone and leaving it off (30 secs) and switching it back on again? ... Also check the following in Settings/Sounds .. "Change with Buttons" toggle switch is turned on.

Note you can only change the Sonos audio whilst the app is running on screen, it will not work when the app is in the background or closed (obviously).

Hope that helps.

Obviously?

Listen, the bottom line is, Apple Music works perfect when you lock the phone and use the volume, the Sonos app does not. I have a brand new iPhone SE and just installed the app, I made certain that everything else was closed and I am not able to control the volume unless the phone is UNLOCKED and the app is as you stated in the forground.

This is retarded.

I have all the settings locked in the settings which were already locked before I locked them and tried to unlocked them relock them etc.

Why is the Sonos programming not up to par like Apple Music to where it controls the volume no matter what with zero excuses?

Your coding department needs assistance in this area, my gf works for Apple and knows a gillion people and some that were on the iOS team, we should talk.
xyz
Thanks that worked!
This same problem is happening to me. I can confirm I have the hardware volume control set in both System Sounds and Sonos app. This used to work and seems to have boken when I updated to Sonos 8, though that could also be around when I updated to iOS 11. The on-screen volume controls work so it shouldn't have anything to do with me re-pairing with the devices.