Question

IPad App not working

• 3 September 2017
  • 25 replies

Badge
I didn't do anything at all and my iPad app is nonfunctional. Tried deleting and reloading, but no use. Sonos still working with iPhone and Mac at least. What just happened, anyway?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Really depends, but you've not really given us much information to go on. I'd guess that this particular iPad wasn't on the same wifi as the Sonos is, but without more data, it's just speculation.
Badge
The iPad app, iPhone app, and Mac app all worked for over a year or two, in synchrony without any problems of any significance. Then the iPad app stopped working in the last day or so.
Badge
There were no storms or power fluctuations. Wifi is behaving normally. No updates were done manually, except to the MAC today when I turned it on, after the iPad app stopped working. The MAC updated without any problems. All other apps on the iPad are behaving normally. Only the iPad Sonos app has a problem. I hope that is enough information?
Is the iPad on wifi? Does it have its own connection to the internet? What version of iOS is it running? Have you powered it down, and waited 2 minutes, then powered it back up? What version of the Sonos app are you trying to run on it?
Badge
All Sonos components and wifi components are plugged into recent vintage high quality surge protectors or CyperPower Adaptive Sinewave UPS.
Your symptoms wouldn't correlate with a power surge.
Basically, what you're saying indicates that the iPad in question is connected to a wifi network that is separate than the one that the Sonos is on. That could be an LTE connection from the iPad skipping connecting to your local wifi, or a repeater device in your home not sending the data on, or even an old version of the software/firmware not making a connection.
Badge
The iPad is on the same wifi system. All 3 Sonos components have been linked into their own network since the day I got them. I had one Play 1 with a Play 5 to start, then later added another Play 1. The iPad Sonos app did drop the added Play 1 from the listed components with this problem. I have tried to add it back without success more than once. The iPad Sonos is 7.4, joe to date. Version is 37.2.44160. I did power cycle everything as a basic first move. Cannot say I waited two minutes, so will now do it again.
iOS for iPad is 10.3.3 (14G60), up to date.
Badge
Two minutes did not help. I gave other data as a housekeeping measure since a power surge is always something to rule out in this area at certain times of the year.
Badge
This iPad does not have phone service capability. It works only on wife and has not been out of the house recently. I do not have a repeater. Wifi signal is strong in all areas with a Sonos component.
Badge
Thanks for your help. Should have said that to start.
OK, I'm confused. Is it the iPad that isn't connecting, or is it a PLAY:1?
And you also say the Sonos speakers are on their own network. Would you be so kind as to expand on that? Do you mean they're on SonosNet (i.e. you have one of the speakers connected to your router with an ethernet cable), or are they all connected to your wifi?
Badge
They are on SonosNet. The Play 5 is connected to the router via Ethernet cable. I have full functionality thru the apps on my iPhone and my Mac. It is the iPad app that has the connection problem. I have dumped it and downloaded it again, reconnected it without it doing more than knowing there are the two original speakers, not the third one. It won't connect to the thirds one. Also, none of the music shows as other than album art. All the albums are empty. None of the Pandora playlists work, ditto radio stations and shows. It is like a dummy app. I ran out out of ideas, before looking for help on this community.
OK, then I'd recommend that you submit two system diagnostics, and post the numbers here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. Do one from a device that sees all 3 speakers, and one from the iPad which only sees 2 speakers. Sonos might be able to see something different between the two, as I'm out of ideas.
Badge
This morning I unplugged the original Play 1 and left it unplugged for over an hour, since it was showing up as an additional problem & could not be added to the system within the iPad app. The iPhone and Mac had had no problem seeing all 3 players within their respective apps.
Checked and the iPad app was now working with the remaining original Play 5 & newer Play 1, with no further action required.
I tried to add the original Play 1 speaker back using the iPad app without success. Yesterday I had tried that with my iPhone, same result.
The iPad app itself has continued to work without the balky speaker.
My iPhone responded to the "failed" setup by adding the 3rd location without any setup required.
Please read my previous post.
Badge
IPad Sonos App diagnositics submitted #7802914. IPhone Sonos App diagnostics submitted 7802921.
Badge
It is possible to now use the iPad app to change the channel on all 3 grouped speakers, even though the iPad app only sees two of them. That is the minimum I needed back. I usually have all 3 paired up playing the same thing. Thanks for your assistance. It helped to have someone to talk to, to help me think of more things to try. I did not see how to contact Sonos as easily over the weekend. Thanks so much, AigetIam.
Well, there is still something wrong, so I'm not sure I really helped. Other contact options can be found at www.sonos.com/contact, but it is a holiday weekend here in the US, so I would imagine staffing levels are low today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi AtALoss, going off of a hunch here, but can you check your router's settings for us? If you're familiar with these steps, I'd like to see if you can go into the router's administration page, then to the LAN or DHCP setup. Check to see what the address range or the amount of addresses going out is. From the diagnostic, I can see nothing is getting an address higher than 10, which means your router might be only giving out 10 IP addresses. If that's the case, than you may be running into an issue where one of your devices can't get an IP.

If you see this setting at 10, can you set it higher and let us know how it goes?

If this doesn't solve your trouble, or you're uncomfortable with looking at these settings, please feel free to give us a call on our support line. Our team will be happy to assist.
Jeez. Never thought of that.

Thanks, Ryan 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Jeez. Never thought of that.

Thanks, Ryan :)

It's not common, but I've seen it happen enough times to be cautious. The symptons would be that sometimes one (or more) devices don't connect no matter what you do. Usually, the device that doesn't connect changes if you reboot things. There was a popular router type that shipped with a DHCP range of 10 by default for a while.
Well, whomever thought of that idea as being a good one should be hung and quartered :)

I'll file this away in my memory if I run into something like this again.
Badge
I never managed to try the fix suggested, due to work picking up too much. However, the last Sonos update on the iPad fixed the problem. I have all 3 speakers back again on the iPad. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.