How to disallow visitors from controlling the Sonos?

• 31 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge
I know this is a feature already requested in the past as I've seen multiple threads spanning over the last 5-6 years but they are all closed with only the latest comments from about 7 months ago. I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to be able to restrict Airplay or other forms of playing music from my Sonos system.

Is this feature coming? I can't imagine it being too difficult to implement a simple pin that bluetooth speakers implement before establishing the connection with it. Another possible solution is expanding the parental controls that is already a feature in the app and making it more customizable to how the end user (me) wants it to be. Why hasn't this feature been implemented yet? Please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As Stanley stated:

Don't give them your WiFi password for the network your Sonos is on. Put them on a guest connection if you must.

No need for them to be on your regular WIFI network. That’s how I solved the problem at my office. That also solved other access problems too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don't give them your WiFi password for the network your Sonos is on. Put them on a guest connection if you must.

Not the answer you wanted but Sonos does what Sonos does with most of us having no clue why in most instances.

We really need a way to password protect control of the Sonos system other than relying on Guest WiFi network.

We have a couple of Sonos One setup in our office and while most people have the decency to play work appropriate music, not all of them do. Because all of our employees require wifi access, we can’t restrict people’s access to the Sonos system that way.

Also, I can imagine several household scenario where parents may not want their young children messing with the music when guests are around.

I read on another thread a response from Sonos stating they want music to be accessible by the whole family. But not requiring a user to login just sounds like a lazy way to mask the lack of a basic features as “convenience”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With the Legacy split there will be a chance Sonos will add new features that wouldn’t fit in the Legacy hardware so asking just adds to the Sonos to-do list. It may never happen but asking never hurts.