How do I sort my queue by album, not by artist?

• 17 June 2018
  • 7 replies

I have successfully imported all of my iTunes playlists into Sonos. However, when I select an imported playlist to add to my queue, Sonos auto-resorts the songs by artist, not by album. I'd like to hear the songs by album, not artist. For example: I have an imported playlist called "Soundtracks - Top Rated". When I add this imported playlist to my Sonos queue, Sonos resorts all of the songs by artist, not by soundtrack. So the songs are mixed, regardless of the movie/play soundtrack. How do I sort the selected queue to play by album so I hear the full soundtrack as it was intended, not by artist? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sonos doesn't change the order of playlists at all. Suggest first sorting the playlist in iTunes then re-importing it to Sonos.
Thank you for your reply, Controlav. I made sure I have the latest versions of Sonos & iTunes, made sure the iTunes playlist was sorted by album, and then updated the Sonos music library as you suggested. Please take a look at the attached screen shots. In iTunes the "Soundtrack Top Rated" playlist is sorted by album, while in Sonos the imported "Soundtrack Top Rated" playlist (and queue) are both still sorted by artist. All of my imported iTunes playlists are like this in Sonos (i.e., sorted by artist). Perhaps there is a Sonos setting that I don't know about?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Huh. If I get the chance I'll try this out myself on my wife's account (as I don't use Apple Music).
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Is a 'sort' in iTunes just temporarily changing the play order - and the real order is maintained?
What if you re-order it and then re-save it (or save it as another name?) And re-index Sonos?
Thanks for the suggestion, sjw. I did as you suggested. In iTunes I changed the order, this time by song, and then updated the Sonos library. There was no change on the imported playlist in Sonos. All of the songs are still listed by artist.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Looks like your playlists have been ordered by artist in iTunes before the export/import. A random thought, but is this an issue with the "Artist" vs "Album Artist" tags? For a compilation / soundtrack etc, the "artist" should be the track artist / performer, and the "album artist" should be "Various Artists" or whatever you'd group the compilation under. Is the music visible in Sonos via a different route? Can you browse to one of the compilations in the playlist with a music library->browse->various artists, and if so is the tracklist complete and the track sequence correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
My understanding of playlists in iTunes is when you select the 'sort by' options at the top that you're not 'changing' the actual playlist - but the order you're current;y seeing it. Is that how you're doing the sorting?
Can you then save it as another name for example? I'm not an iTunes user.