Question

How can I control my Sonos Port with a remote control?

I’ve got a Sonos Port with audio input from an Apple TV, and output going into an amp and speakers (non-Sonos). I can’t control the volume on the amp remotely. I’d like to have a remote to control the volume on the Sonos Port.

I know how to configure an Apple TV remote to control a Sonos Playbar.

Is this possible for the Sonos Port? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @eulerfx, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about controlling the volume on the Sonos Port, however, The Sonos Port doesn’t have an IR receiver to control the volume of the Amp and the speakers connected to it. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Ok, I understand there is no IR receiver to control the volume. 

Is there no way to control the volume on my Sonos Port with a hardware remote control?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No, only a phone, tablet, PC or Mac using the Sonos controller or one of the alternates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @eulerfx, thanks for the update. I agree with @Stanley_4 that a phone, tablet, PC, or Mac are capable of controlling the Sonos App. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Can someone confirm whether the Lutron Caseta Audio and/or Senic Nuimo hardware buttons work on the Port’s variable line-out volume, like they control the standalone speaker volume?  I have never tried it, but would like to know… (yah, lazy!-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tracker, Thanks for reaching out. Regarding your concern, you may check this link for the compatibility of those 3rd party integrated channels with Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi, @Simon B , Thanks for responding.  BUT: (1) The link you provided does not answer the specific question posed: Does “volume control” -- which of course all those devices do! -- extend to “variable line out” on the Port?  (2) Also note that the chart in that article does not even list the Senic Nuimo which Sonos sells from the website.  (3) Is that why you did not recommend any of those devices in response to @eulerfx asking, “Is there no way to control the volume on my Sonos Port with a hardware remote control?”

Let us know how you get on with the implied advice in #2 above.

And #1 & #3 above are, in fact, any further questions I have, which you may now answer!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tracker, thanks for the update. Regarding your concerns, on the 1st question. Yes, it does control variable out if it's not on pass-through, ‘Pass-through’ is for use with ‘Works with Sonos’ amps/receivers that are able to register with the Sonos API for external control via the Sonos controller app. The Sonos Port outputs a Fixed stereo signal, and the volume control in the app adjusts the level in the downstream amp/receiver directly. On your 2nd question, I’m also wondering why it’s not listed on the chart for the Seinic Nuimo, but I’ll make sure that we'll pass this on to our engineering team as the article could be outdated so we can check that further. on your 3rd question. Yes, We do not recommend any specific brands because we want to promote and keep fairness with third-party partners of Sonos. on the last question, there are ways of controlling the Sonos port, for example, is the Seinic Nuimo, wherein you should have the Seinic Nuimo hub control set for this to work. but If you have further clarifications, you may call our Sales team for further assistance. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just as a datapoint, I control my Sonos Port using an IR remote, but it requires a Python program running on a Raspberry Pi (or other computer), and a ‘FLIRC’ IR receiver.

The code is available here if anyone wants to try it:

https://github.com/pwt/SonosKeyController

I can use the IR remote to play, pause, go to next/previous tracks, control volume, and play favourites, but I could set it up to do anything that’s supported by soco-cli [1]. It works very well for me (especially as the Port has dispensed with the convenient front panel controls found on the Connect).

[1] https://github.com/avantrec/soco-cli

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Ikea Tradfri remote provides volume, play pause, skip, back and is cheap and reliable ime.

Requires an ikea hub, but if you already have a smart hub it may work with that.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tradfri-remote-control-00443130/

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Cool -- $18 remote and $40 “gateway” (don’t search Ikea.com for “hub”)?  I’ll have to try one.  They both look clunkier than their Lutron equivalents, and of course the product description throws a curve because it says, “Can only be used with IKEA Smart lighting products.”

Since Sonos Staff can’t recommend, here’s my experience: Lutron controls “just work”.  Battery in the remote supposedly lasts 10 years.  Mounting options (pedestal, wall plate, fake “tandem” wallplate with light switches) are great.  I ordered 2 “Lutron Caseta Wireless Pico Remote for Audio” @ $40 each and 1 “Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge” @ $80, plus a $12 Pico pedestal to keep it above the counter slop in the kitchen.  That’s only twice as much as the Ikea pieces and worth the peace of mind IMO.

The iPort that Sonos sells is reputed to drain its battery pretty quick, so I didn’t even bother with it. 

The Senic Nuimo that Sonos sells is heavy-duty hardware (even better than Lutron) and I *love* the spinwheel’s look & feel, but their hub occasionaly failed to reconnect.  (Whether it was across power-fails or Sonos software updates I don’t know, but both occur way too often for my liking.)  I prefer their switch to the spinwheel only because it has no battery at all (piezo!), so no recharging or sleep/wake delay.  Rarely, it takes an extra click to charge it up and only the second click gets transmitted to (by?) the hub.  The Nuimo controls required closer distance to their hub than the Lutron Picos did.

In all these cases you must load the manufacturer’s app as well as the Sonos app.  And in all cases, volume clicks have a tiny delay before they take effect.  I didn’t mind the Lutron delay. The Nuimo switch delay wasn’t much longer, but the Nuimo spinwheel delay made it easy to overshoot.  I have only used them on pre-S1, no idea about S2.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tracker, thanks for the update. We appreciate all of you taking out to share your experience with us, as well with our other Sonos community users @pwt  and @Bumper

If there's any other issue you're having, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Cool -- $18 remote and $40 “gateway” (don’t search Ikea.com for “hub”)?  I’ll have to try one.  They both look clunkier than their Lutron equivalents, and of course the product description throws a curve because it says, “Can only be used with IKEA Smart lighting products.”

Ikea is little risk as they havea 1 year return policy 😀

I don't find it clunky but ymmv.The puck shape isn't ground breaking design but imo it's a good mix of design and function.  I'm using it with Smartthings hub so haven't bought the Tradfri gateway. 

So far in approx 4 months use every time I press a button it works and it continued to work over upgrades to S2. 

The iPort that Sonos sells is reputed to drain its battery pretty quick

It probably depends how much it’s used each day, or whether it gets lost down the back of the sofa cushions with its buttons pressed continuously. Mine last a month or two between charges (which take only an hour or so).