Give me back the old Sonos App

• 15 July 2020
  • 9 replies

The new Sonos S2 for iPhone and iPad is a complete retrograde step, stick with the old one if you can. I have had a Sonos system, 4 x Sonos 1, 1 x Sonos 3 and a Sonos sound bar for a number of years, without issue, however since upgrading the apps on my iphone and ipad, I have experienced serious connection issues, and frequently have to go to connect to the system using my Macbook Air in order to change station, or simply connect to the Sonos system. This is especially frustrating when I have to move from wherever I’m listening to the radio in the house, to the study in order to connect to and retune the system. This never happened with the old app.

Before I get the usual advice about reconnecting my Sonos system to my network, the Sonos system has been completely re-installed several times, currently set to hardwired from my master speaker to the main router, and my Wifi signal strength around my home is in the region of 50Mbytes. Plus the issues only began following the upgrade, not a very happy customer, and certainly less than impressed with the new app.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @GarryF.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post outlining the issue.

Sorry to hear about it, let me help you and get this figured out.

Most of the time, IP address related issues after an update or power-loss can cause connectivity problems.

Powering down all Sonos, rebooting router and controller, and then powering up the Sonos one at a time often clears the issue.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app while this occurs and post the confirmation number here so that I can take a look.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The new Sonos S2 for iPhone and iPad is a complete retrograde step, stick with the old one if you can. I have had a Sonos system, 4 x Sonos 1, 1 x Sonos 3 and a Sonos sound bar for a number of years, without issue, however since upgrading the apps on my iphone and ipad, I have experienced serious connection issues, and frequently have to go to connect to the system using my Macbook Air in order to change station, or simply connect to the Sonos system. This is especially frustrating when I have to move from wherever I’m listening to the radio in the house, to the study in order to connect to and retune the system. This never happened with the old app.

Before I get the usual advice about reconnecting my Sonos system to my network, the Sonos system has been completely re-installed several times, currently set to hardwired from my master speaker to the main router, and my Wifi signal strength around my home is in the region of 50Mbytes. Plus the issues only began following the upgrade, not a very happy customer, and certainly less than impressed with the new app.

I have had the same experience.  After upgrading to S2, I’ve had nothing but problems.  Buggy and unstable!  S1 GOOD, S2 BAAAAAAAAAAD!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PrescottGoggins.

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear about it, let me help you and try to figure it out.

Have you gone through the above suggestion? Can you tell me more about it?

Please start by submitting a diagnostic report from your Sonos app while the problem occurs and post the confirmation number here so that I can take a look.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Switch to SonoPad/SonoPhone instead, much more reliable at finding your devices than the S2 app is on iOS.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have been a Sonos user since they first started and only occasionally have had to revert to technical support. Running S1 alongside S2  was initially very difficult to get going. My Sonos Boost would not re-join my system so I had to call support for a chat. Rather frustratingly I had to abandon the chat after 2 hours on line going round in circles, culminating in a request to re-configure my router, which I refused to do. The next day I resumed the chat, this time with another support team member. I was directed to perform a different set of instructions and after 10 minutes my system was restored. Usefully I was also able to save a transcription of that chat. I found chat a far better method of communication than making a phone call because It focuses on the issue and allows you to respond to instructions without feeling I hurried. It is far easier to use chats than to make repeated phone calls, especially during this pandemic.  

Hi Annazel S

Apologies for the delay in responding, and thanks for the initial response and the suggestions, which did eventually force me to act.

I finally got round to completely clearing and reconnecting all the various parts of my home network, rewiring a suspect ethernet cable, and I am happy to say, for the last 3 days the system appears to be stable.

Whilst I cannot be 100% sure of the cause, everything points to the issue being caused by the bad, or, damaged ethernet cable / connector connecting my main router to one of my Access Points.

Whilst the Sonos system is in what I understand its own “Sonos environment”, ie a master speaker connected direct to the main Router via cable and the remaining speakers using wireless to connect to the master speaker, it appears that it was being affected by excessive network traffic caused by this bad connection. Note I maybe totally off track with this thought, but nothing else makes sense to me.

My network has not been modified or updated for the best part of 12 months, and Sonos 1 was not affected during this time, meaning I could control the system from anywhere on my property. I can only assume that maybe Sonos 2 is rather more ‘sensitive’ to high or spurious network traffic, or that the cable finally failed around the same time as I updated from Sonos 1 to Sonos 2.

Whatever the reason, again, thanks for taking the time, and for prompting me into taking action ;-). My faith in Sonos has been restored and I’ll update this post if the issue returns.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @GarryF.

Thanks for the response and for the good news.

I appreciate your time and effort letting us know what you have done to get the issue resolved.

There are indeed a variety of possible causes we need to explore when it comes to connectivity per se.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to make it, and I’m looking forward to a continuous smooth sailing of your system.

We’d appreciate your updates on this, it will help other members of the community that might encounter the same concern.

You are always welcome in the community, we are here to help.

Cheers!

It’s a shame. Sonos was the leader in easy to use software and sound quality, but it seems now every second day I turn it on, something is wrong. New updates every couple of weeks, this connectivity, that unsupported…. And so on.

I understand the business model, get people to buy new products to keep up with the sortware, but as a consumer that doesn’t sit well.

Time to start looking at the other brands out there. Sonos has had it’s day, they used to be pioneers, now they are middle of the pack for just these reasons.

Userlevel 2

Have to agree. Updates are terrible. Too often. Buggy. They kill the system too often. Have people over and want to play music? Probably won’t be able to because some dumb update pops up.

Someone will probably say “turn off updates” but that doesn’t stop the app from checking for them and going into hostage mode. If a update is out there, it won’t let me update my own music library. Sonos disables functions just because a update is out there somewhere.