Question

Dual Band Network - Device and Controller on different bands

• 1 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I'm running a BT HomeHub 6 in dual mode - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Obviously, my Sonos One will only connect to the 2.4GHz network which is fine (plenty of questions already on this).

My iPhone 7 Sonos Controller is connected to the 5GHz band and doesn't find the Sonos devices. Is this to be expected?

Can anything be done other than disabling the 5GHz band?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No that is not expected behaviour. Does it connect with the 5Hz disabled? That would at least prove you can access the Sonos.

If you google Home Hub 6 and Sonos there are a shed load of posts about issues people are having. SOme have suggested checking to see if the Hub has the latest Firmware. That might help too.
Thanks. I've disabled the 5GHz band and for some reason the iPhone was still connecting to that band - according to the HH6 at least. Removed the phone from the device list, forgot the network etc. and reconnected and still can't connect to the Sonos.

I could until recently (applied an update in iOS) and can sometimes in different places in the house. WiFi connectivity is generally good, no drop-outs etc.

To complicate matters further. I have a second router connected by an ethernet cable to extend the wifi range. Same SSID etc. After all of the above, i'm now connected to that router - although the Sonos device isn't and still can't connect.

Do i have to be on the same router, or just the same network?
Unless the second router is in bridge/AP mode it will split the network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers must be on the same subnet. See here.