Don't allow people to update your speakers if your controller is old

• 3 January 2021
  • 6 replies

My son recently downloaded the Sonos app to his new Android.  Apparently, he was prompted to update the Play 1 speakers I bought last year.  That rendered the controller on my iPhone 5 unusable.  This happened to me once before, when he did the same thing on what was then his iPhone 5.  That fubar’d the contoller on my Blackberry 10.  So I bought a used Kindle Fire, on someone else’s advice, which turned out to be incompatible.  A few months later, I inherited his old iPhone. 

I should have stopped him!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Surely the title should be:

"Update your control device!! It was discontinued more than 7 years ago and runs an unsupported operating system that's 4 generations out of date!!!"

(I won't respond in caps as it's rude to shout.)

The controller my oh so obsolete iPhone was working just fine!  There was no warning when my son clicked to update the speakers that it would render my iPhone’s controller unusable.  Why can’t Sonos at least provide a warning before unsuspecting people click to update?

Controllers are entirely optional. The system retains no persistent memory of them.

The fact that a controller was once used from an iPhone which is now unable to update to the latest app version simply doesn’t feature in the system’s thinking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Does updating from S1 to S2 not require the Sonos account password to be entered?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

He should have gone through APKMIRROR and downloaded the version you are running on your other controllers.

As the speakers are now at 11.xx I presume you're screwed as they won't roll back.

Someone else nearly lost 6 controllers running 10.3 a few days back but managed to avoid it.

To be fair to your son it's easily done unfortunately.

As the speakers are now at 11.xx I presume you're screwed as they won't roll back.

12.2.x if they’re on S2.