Disappointed in effort to force S2 software

• 15 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

When my Play:1 switched to a loud, obnoxious song I wanted to skip, I was not able to do it because my iPad’s S1 app insisted I input my Sonos password to confirm I wanted to continue to use S1, else it would “upgrade” me to S2.  I picked up my Android phone and got the same message.  I climbed up on a chair to reach the play/pause button on my speaker, then relaxed enough to look up the Sonos password, which I had not used in many months, and was able to preserve my S1 system.  

I am very disappointed in the Sonos effort to blackmail users into switching to the inferior S2 software.  

Whenever I look up the S2 app on the Play or Apple stores, the first several pages of reviews are always the same - it does not work, the app constantly loses the speakers and the users have to spend time troubleshooting, with no useful help from Sonos, instead of listening to music.  

For those of us who are happy with our S1 systems, why can’t you just leave us alone and let us use the software we paid for and like?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If I understand you correctly, then you are owning a single Play:1. What do you fear will happen when you migrate this device to S2 - that it turns to dust ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Actually, I own six Sonos speakers.  And as I noted in my post, the first several pages of reviews of the S2 software are almost exclusively people complaining that the software cannot keep track of the speakers, and that extensive troubleshooting, rebooting the router, etc is necessary to recover them.

I personally haven’t had issues with S2.  However, I do agree that since it’s been almost a year since the S1/S2 change over,  everyone on S1 knows that they can upgrade to S2.  It would annoy me as well, if I didn’t want to go to S1 for whatever reason.

Actually, I own six Sonos speakers.  And as I noted in my post, the first several pages of reviews of the S2 software are almost exclusively people complaining that the software cannot keep track of the speakers, and that extensive troubleshooting, rebooting the router, etc is necessary to recover them.

Trust me, this are networking issues, has nothing to do with S2 per se, and happens with S1 as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I had a similar experience -- I have 4 Sonos speakers and two are not compatible with S2. So it’s weird that the app keeps telling me that it’s time to switch to S2. None of the in-app notices happen to mention my system isn’t compatible. I don’t mind an occasional attempt at an upsell but just let me dismiss the banner if I’m not planning to replace my older speakers!