Answered

Controller "Urban Airship" shows up as adware

• 4 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi I just run anti aware to detect any virus in my phone. But unfortunately urban airship virus detect in Sonos app with red color? Means dangerous. Any one knew about this or why Sonos using this aware?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 6 July 2018, 17:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've never heard of any malware called "urban airship", though it does appear to be a company that helps with push messaging for apps and services... some online searches don't turn up anything called "urban airship" as malware though. In fact, some scans of files related to Urban Airship's service are clean of any malware.

I don't know if Sonos is using their service or not (I would think that would be unlikely, but I don't really know)... but I would bet that it's more likely a false positive from your phone's scanner. They do happen from time to time (I had Windows Defender give a false positive on a utility that I've used for years one day after a recent update to it). You're certainly the first person that has mentioned anything about this that I've seen, out of hundreds of thousands of users here on this site, and millions of customers worldwide.

To help Sonos get more info about your Sonos app, could you submit a diagnostic through the app and post the confirmation number here? Some info on the scanner app you use would be helpful too. I'm guessing you mean "anti adware", but I don't see a particular app called that from my quick searching.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response and Anti adware app very much available in Google play store and screen shot attached
Hey there, ramesh_rs_1971. This seems a bit fishy. We certainly do not install "adware" on mobile phones through our controller app.

Personally, I'd be curious if any other scanners pull up the exact same threat information. I'd venture a guess that the app is attempting to sell you an add-on service to "remove" all those threats.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Android isn't exactly known for its great security. Did you install the Sonos app from the Google store, or from a sketchy .apk file on the internet?
Hi everyone! We spoke with Ryan C from the Software team about this:

To offer some clarity around this, we use Urban Airship for our in-app messaging. This sounds like a common case of UA libraries getting “caught” by poorly made anti-adware software.

For context, here is a link that goes over some details.
Thank to all for your response and advise🆒