Can no longer add speakers after 12/11/2018 "update"

• 12 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Running Android 9 on Pixel 2 XL. Go to settings to add a new speaker. App says "Sonos app needs updating" and shows an Update button and a Done button. Tapping the Update button opens the Sonos Google Play page with only 2 options, Uninstall or Open, so the app appears to be updated. Go back and tap Done instead, but still can't add speakers. It continuously goes in this loop of needing to update the app. Already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, clearing app cache, rebooting phone. New Play 5 is a brick at this moment, thanks guys. Fix the app now.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you go into app under settings...about my sonos….what version of the app does it say you have (should be 9.3)
Looping update issue appears to be resolved overnight in this version. Was able to add the speaker on the first try without any app update prompting. Thanks!
Remove the Sonos app, restart the phone and reinstall the app from the Google Play Store.
Same issue after April update. ?
I currenty have 10.1.2 installed and experiencing the same issue on android. Trying to add surround to a room, keeps telling me to update the app or done, if i select update it takes me to googleplay, but doesn't download because i have the latest. I now have two very expensive play5 paperweights.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi folks, what you're describing sounds like a controller that's in limited or partially supported mode. They're unable to add players or adjust most settings. While we try to keep software and hardware working with Sonos for as long as possible, eventually the demands of the software or other factors can prevent us from supporting a software version or hardware, usually well after the device manufacturer has stopped supporting it themselves. As our system requirements change we will keep this page updated. It doesn't happen very often, but from time to time, older software versions will need to be updated.