Can I add an old component without updating?

• 10 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi all

I have a 5 - 7 year old mixed system with Playbar, Sub, Play 3, Play 5 and Connect. My Play 5’s are S1 only so I haven’t done any updates since S2 was launched for fear of them no longer working. Everything works great now so I have no need to update.

We have just added an extension to the house, and so I jumped on eBay and bought an old 2nd hand Connect so it would be S1 compatible. When I just tried to add the Connect, the Sonos S1 app (tried both on Android and on PC) both require me to update before it will let me add the new device.

Can I add the new (old) connect without updating? Or can I update the apps and stay in S1 world? I’m just worried that if I press the update button it will update me to S2 and then I can’t use my Play5’s anymore. I have no idea what the new features of S2 are but I’m fairly sure I don’t need them. Everything currently works great!

My PC Currently running v11.2.3.

My Android currently running 11.2.10

Cheers - Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It should only update your devices to the latest S1 version, which is v11.2.10, that’s if you’re using the S1 App … if you are that worried about it, just uodate the devices ‘one at a time’ by powering the others ‘off’ as that would leave you with an S1 setup anyway to revert back to… but you would need to download/install the S2 App to move to S2. Just read carefully what you are seeing on screen and obviously do not install the S2 App at any point.

HTH

Thanks. Turning everything else off is a great idea. I will try that later tonight. Cheers - Matt

Turning everything else off is a great idea.

I wouldn’t. If you turn off the legacy units the app will look at what’s active on the system and think you can upgrade to S2. It may just nag, but it could be rather persistent.

Hmm was just about to do it. Maybe I'll turn everything off but leave on a play5 which is S1 limited.

Did the update and everything is still working. Thanks for the hand holding along the way.

Did the update and everything is still working. Thanks for the hand holding along the way.

It makes sense to try to think ahead and ask questions in advance, rather than jumping in two feet first and trying to sort the problems afterwards. Good to hear you sorted it and that all went well with the update.👍