Are you happy with the 3.0 update?

• 28 July 2009
  • 61 replies

Quite simple, lets get some numbers on all the chatter thats flying around. In order that Sonos can gauge some meaningful feedback please reply to this thread with your supporting opinions for your choice.

EDIT: Now I've put my mobile phone down and can type with both hands I'll finish this post off properly.

I voted NO as I believe the perception that has been given and supported is that we, the users, will get our idea's turned into tweaks/new features/upgrades etc. through the Sound Idea's forum. Given that the fact that the last two updates have had very few changes to the system (i.e. Not new services) I fear that the focus on this may have drifted. I understand the current world economic situation means that luxury products suchs as Sonos will be put aside for essential purchase and that Sonos will and must look to increase it's user base to survive doesnt mean that we, as existing users cannot express our dissapointment at this shift. My hopes for the future are that the new controller, which I think is fantastic, will bring better and more wider ranging upgrades, the appearance of the more music feature gives me this hope.

This is nothing to do with it being free, not screwing my system up, or it continuing to do what it should, it is about perception and expectations.....and presently results are falling short of my expectations

There you go, sermon over.....

Are you happy with update 3.0?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Can somebody at Sonos just up it please!

How exactly do you propose they "just up it?" You act like they can simply wave a magic wand and get 1 million tracks, but choose not to because they like torturing you and others with huge libraries. I assure you, they aren't doing that.
Userlevel 2
LOL @jgatie :D

I understand the complexities of updating the track limit because of the hardware, but there might be a solution: by integrating UPnP support. This way us-tortured-people-with-huge-libraries at least have some way of listening to their music with Sonos.

I am not expecting Sonos to add this for free, I'd be more than willing to pay for such an extra. 🆒
LOL @jgatie :D

I understand the complexities of updating the track limit because of the hardware, but there might be a solution: by integrating UPnP support. This way us-tortured-people-with-huge-libraries at least have some way of listening to their music with Sonos.

I am not expecting Sonos to add this for free, I'd be more than willing to pay for such an extra. 🆒

Which server would you like them to interface with? Twonky? Squeezecenter? WMP? iTunes?

How much effort should they put into this integration, both in development and support?

What about the users who now can't run a simple NAS because they need to run a server? Should Sonos now only support NAS drives that are powerful enough to run the server (whatever server that is)?

Should Sonos, a small company, abandon all effort in improving their core functionality and instead push for integration with any and all UPnP servers on the market?

Should they go even further and develop their own server (much to the chagrin of the "I already run xyz server crowd) so as to minimize the impact on support?

Exactly how much extra are you going to pay to support the new Server Team at Sonos? Is the number of users willing to pay for this enough to pay the salaries of the team?

Just a few things to think about . . .
Badge +2
I'm sorry to whomever was presumably paid to redesign the icons, but they're generally insipid and no improvement from before.

Telephones are ubiquitous; nothing about it really means "office" to me... and it's been a long time since a phone looked like that anyway. I'm guessing the "Living room" icon is supposed to be an overstuffed chair, but it looks as much like a phone jack. The crossed knife and fork for the kitchen inside a circle look like a cancel button. Does anyone know what the foyer/hallway thing is suppsed to be? A steam radiator?

There's so much duplication, too... garden=patio; hallway=foyer; den=media room=tv room.

The patio/garden icon is attractive and cute and makes good use of the circular space. Too bad Sonos doesn't make a waterproof/portable zoneplayer.

Really, I think the thing to do next time is to let us install our own graphics.
Userlevel 2
I answered NO.

A whole *version* update, but nothing new available to me. Therefore, IMHO, there is no update. It's a new version available for new users. That's great for the company, who obviously wants new users.

But the fact is that I still can't manage my own music library the way I'd like to (ie. view the lyric tag on the controller, among other things). So to tell me that *I* have received a full version update, that's simply not true. I haven't gotten a thing.

Sonos has had a version update, great for them, congrats. But I have not received any updates. Not since I bought my Sonos. It's okay, I wouldn't give up my Sonos for anything! But like someone else said here, don't tease me and ask me to offer "Sound Ideas" and then not ever do anything about them. It hurts my psyche.
:(

Censored again.

Our auto-mod doesn't seem to like you very much. Maybe get in touch with Sid, it could be your IP-Address or something.
Userlevel 2
Our auto-mod doesn't seem to like you very much. Maybe get in touch with Sid, it could be your IP-Address or something.

Haha, then Sonos would be screening the US gov't 😉 Actually, I don't believe the IP address is a problem, as the last censure was of my home IP, while today I'm at my desk job.

Is it something I'm saying? I mean, I don't always say nice things, but I don't mean to say anything purely evil.... 😕
Badge +9
I'm happy with it but that's because to me, someone who will be using a CR200 among other controllers, do feel its a big upgrade (the controller i mean, being a new piece of kit). I do really think that there should have been perhaps an option to download 3.0 only if you got the controller, instead of making everyone do it. Oddly, downloading it doesn't hurt anyone...but I can understand that THINKING it will give you something other than new controller support would then make you feel like it wasn't worth the 3.0 naming.
Badge
I have voted Yes. I've got no immediate downsides. I'm happy that Sonos continually add functionality to their purchased product.

I've been so close to buying an iPod Touch as my main controller. I need a second one ond would retire the CR100 to the secondary function. I now have to decide whether to buy a 16GB Touch on eBay for ~100GBP or fork out for the CR200.

Inclined to save and get the Sonos one.....
Badge +2
Voted yes and look forward to orderign one soon. The update went extremenly smooth without any issues.
Userlevel 2
Found out about update quite by accident when booting up Sonos. Now I have 3.0 instead of 2.8 but could not discern any change in performance. Noticed Icon Change and More Music option but these changes are cosmetic. Read comment about this update being for the new Controller. Fair enough. Read the new features and liked the alpha search and the better battery life but those are not worth $349-at least not yet. Device also looks quite boxy. I rated it indifferent because if it did not occur the system would function as before. Not complaining since I remember how awful the software once was. Worked fine until there was a power outage and then good luck getting it to reconnect. Those days are hopefully gone so I will be quiet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I voted yes, because without it, the CR200 wouldn't work. I have never experienced the iPhone app so the CR200 has been a big revelation to me - I just can't put it down! It has changed the way I use Sonos/Last.FM/Napster almost as much as Sonos improved my appreciation of music.

We love it, although the CR100 will always have a place in the bathroom/garden

PS I hate the new icons!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I voted "No". Sonos spoiled me with the early releases. There were always small or sometimes large improvements even when the main thrust of the release didn't apply to me. Sonos listened to its users then. Each release made a great user experience even better. The last few have been disappointing. The designers at Sonos seem to think the UI is finished - doesn't need any new functions.

I can't understand why the new "Info" function isn't included with the desktop controller.

And, yes, I too hate the new icons.
Userlevel 2
Interesting to see people mention the track limit. I just found out about it and opened up two threads on it. I love the Sonos experience but I'm thinking about going back to the dark side (haven't sold my Squeezeboxes). The painful memories of using them are still too fresh, so I guess I'll hang in there for a bit.

It has stopped me from buying the new controller so far.

Has everybody e-mailed customer service and requested that they work on it? The squeaky wheel gets the oil and Sonos seems to actually care what their customers think.

I'm not saying it's an easy snap your fingers fix. I don't think designing this system was easy either. They seem to have gotten more right than other companies have. I'm sure they could figure something out if it was deemed a priority.

I didn't know there was an update until I read this thread. I've had too many bad experiences updating Squeezeboxes. I'm not sure if I'll bother with it.

Please send any concerns about the Track Limit to Sonos customer support. It may not be a problem for you now but it could be in the future.

Has everybody e-mailed customer service and requested that they work on it? The squeaky wheel gets the oil and Sonos seems to actually care what their customers think.

I'm not saying it's an easy snap your fingers fix. I don't think designing this system was easy either. They seem to have gotten more right than other companies have. I'm sure they could figure something out if it was deemed a priority.

Sonos has actually raised the limit twice already. I don't think they have much to play with anymore. But they are hearing you. Maybe with having all the "old" (ZP80/100/CR100) hardware phased out by now, there is a possibility for improvements, but I am not sure whether it is a legacy they can get rid off whilst keeping all older components working.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I voted indifferent. I got what I paid for.

It cost me nothing, I got nothing. Actually, I got some icons I don't like and an annoying "more music" option that gets in the way.

So indifferent, but borderline no...but it was free.
Badge
Since I won't be throwing away over $300.00 for the CR200, this update is like practically all the iTunes updates that I've done over the last 3 years. The update doesn't add new functionality to my existing Sonos equipment, it only adds the ability to use the "new" CR200.

iTunes did this all the time everytime Apple put out a new player, or the Apple TV or whatever the heck it's called.

But then again I can't complain. I pick up my old but reliable CR100, press play and it WORKS!

Amazing, it like my land-line telephone. It's an appliance that works when you pick it up. Unlike iTunes, and AirTunes, which never was reliable nor consistent.

Frank
Badge +2
... redesign the icons....I just noticed that the new icons for zones appear only on the Desktop Controller (Windows) and not on the CR100 controllers which still show the more distinctive icons such as a carton of popcorn (media room) and a computer (office).

Maybe another thing that slipped through QA, but I do prefer the old icons.
Userlevel 2
I thought there was supposed to be an expanded music information funciton on 3.0 but I can't seem to locate it...

Anyone else see it.. what am I missing.

Dave
Userlevel 1
Badge
CR200 only. We will have to start getting used to this. Bummer.

I thought there was supposed to be an expanded music information funciton on 3.0 but I can't seem to locate it...

Anyone else see it.. what am I missing.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Originally Posted by justintime
ANyone else notice the 3.0 update on the CR100 yields a less responsive Controller?!

+ 1 and please change my vote from "Indifferent" to "Not Happy at all" !!!
Userlevel 2
I can't answer this question, there are way too many interpretations;
I might answer yes because the process works flawlessly.
I Might answer no because it doesn't offer any new functionality.

A better question would be: does this upgrade show you that Sonos listens to the requests on this forum.
My answer would be NO!

btw: i did buy the CR200, it works fine. No surprises, hopefully Sonos will spend the money they are making on it on new functionality!

A better question would be: does this upgrade show you that Sonos listens to the requests on this forum.
My answer would be NO!

People have been asking for the ability to search an artist's entire catalog by selecting a single track. They've also been looking for a way to see similar music from a track selection. Both of these have been implemented in Rhapsody, and to a lesser extent, in Napster and Last.FM, for both the iPhone and CR200. This may not apply to you, but that's 2 huge Sound Ideas inspired items that many people will find very useful.

Not to mention people have been lamenting the "dated" CR100 for years now, and the clarion call for a touchscreen was long and loud before the iPhone app diminished it some. Whether you define it as "new functionality" or not, the CR200 was a major effort. Again, it may not apply to all, but it is certainly an effort by Sonos. For me, the update didn't give me more than I already have, but I'll never say it has nothing new. That would be as absurd as the guy dismissing the update that included the iPhone app and Radiotime as "useless" and "nothing new", just because he personally used a Blackberry and didn't listen to internet radio.
Userlevel 2
People have been asking for the ability to search an artist's entire catalog by selecting a single track. They've also been looking for a way to see similar music from a track selection. Both of these have been implemented in Rhapsody, and to a lesser extent, in Napster and Last.FM, for both the iPhone and CR200. This may not apply to you, but that's 2 huge Sound Ideas inspired items that many people will find very useful.

Indeed it doen't apply to me since I can't register to these services (non US)... (granted,this is not a sonos issue)

Not to mention people have been lamenting the "dated" CR100 for years now, and the clarion call for a touchscreen was long and loud before the iPhone app diminished it some. Whether you define it as "new functionality" or not, the CR200 was a major effort.

The CR200 does not apply to the question, however I do agree it was surely a major effort. I didn't expect anything less for a ($/€) 349 device!
The CR200 does not apply to the question, however I do agree it was surely a major effort. I didn't expect anything less for a ($/€) 349 device!

This is the second time this has come up and I have to say I do not agree the CR200 does not apply to update 3.0. The main reason for 3.0 was a major hardware change - support for the CR200. Say 5000 man hours were required to change the software to include support for the CR200. That's 5000 man hours that were not used on other items.

Now I can't be sure, but Sonos probably does not like developers sitting around doing nothing. So if the CR200 was not on the agenda, they would have been working on some other aspect of the system, possibly even some other Sound Idea items. The fact that some people derive "nothing useful" from update 3.0 may be directly due to the fact 3.0 had to support the CR200, thus all efforts concentrated on that one goal. Nothing is done in a vacuum, and a development team only has so many hours in a day (usually spending a lot more of them working than most people, but the limit is still only 24 ;)).