Answered

Any word on S1 support period for the future?

• 16 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m not intending to upgrade my Sonos kit anytime soon, as presently it does exactly what I want (and what I paid for).

Clearly that means that my particular train has headed down the S1 track, rather than S2 (the only ‘new’ kit I have is a Boost, used to replace a Bridge).

Question - has Sonos announced a minimum support period for S1 and associated kit? I’m thinking of something along the lines of “S1 software will be updated to run with new iterations of Windows, iOS and Android for at least 5 years” or similar.

Have only asked re OS, obviously other stuff - TuneIn and other services is I guess a trickier question. I do have Play5 with line-in to PC, and a Connect (connected to a gramophone), so even if they pulled all the services from S1 eventually, I would at least be able to pipe music around my Sonos speakers via those two inputs.

(Couldn’t find anything on this site by searching “S1 support period” - which I would imagine is the one question on many S1 user minds).

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 June 2020, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos has stated S1 will receive security updates and bug fixes.  There is no guaranteed compatibility with any future OS versions.  The only guarantee of support is for 5 years after a device is last manufactured, and all S1 devices are over that 5 years.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

jgatie is correct.

We’re going to keep supporting these devices for as long as possible. When something stops working, we’ll do what we can to fix it, but we will eventually be limited by the hardware on the devices themselves.