Question

Android Controller download

I have downloaded the app on to my android phone, it's found the sonos system but never connects just goes back to the sonos icon?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Did you try deleting it from Recent Apps and restarting it?
Yep 4 times now 😞
And you presumably also tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

How is your Sonos system set up? Is it using your WiFi, or do you have a Sonos component wired to your router?

Is there just a single WiFi, or do you have multiple access points?

Assuming your phone supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi, see if forcing it onto the 2.4GHz WiFi makes any difference.
Yes installed and uninstalled also a number of times, same thing. When the sonos system is switched off the controller performs ie. starts looking for existing system etc. But when it connects it simply goes back to the icon, same when I try opening it. Other devices i pad and lap top all work fine as do other phones. It's on a single wifi system not sure how to force the phone on to 2.4GHZ ?
p.s. Also when the app is re-installed and I connect to the existing system is simply says Connected to your sonos system then I press 'done' and you would expect the app to open. By clicking the Sonos icon it then does nothing.
When you say "back to the icon" you mean the app crashes, and you end up back on the home screen? Strange. Is the phone a standard, recent model, i.e. not rooted?

Is it feasible for you to temporarily wire one of the Sonos units to the network? If you do, wait a couple of minutes (the Sonos LEDs will flash as the system reconfigures itself) then try the Android controller again.
Well it doesn't seem to crash it just doesn't open I press the small icon and the screen changes to 'sonos' and then nothing, just goes back to the small icon. If I disconnect the sonos system from the wifi, the app works as it normally would do. I looks for an existing sonos system. The phone only supports 2.4GHZ The android Huawei Y560-LO1
Hmm. Sonos Support should take a look. I suggest you submit a system diagnostic (they always ask for one) using one of the other controllers, and post the confirmation number. At the very least that diagnostic will reveal details about your WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As ratty said the diagnostic would be helpful.

You wouldn't happen to be running any antivirus or security software on that phone would you? What you're describing sounds like something blocking the Apps connection to the Sonos devices once it registers them.

Are there any settings on your router set to block your phone connecting with the players? It's unlikely but some routers have odd rules that get added.
Same issue here on same phone (Huawei Y5, just bought, same as Y560). After installing it asks to set up new Sonos network or connect to existing. After connecting to existing Sonos network, it stops and falls back to showing Sonis icon. After that when starting Sonos it just stops after few seconds and falls back to screen with icon.

Deleted from recent apps and reinstalled few times, no change. Elsewhere (Dutch forum: https://www.gebruikershandleiding.com/Huawei-Y560-L01/592290/antwoord.html) someone said its a Android Lollipop issue on this phone, and need to wait to upgrade to Marshmallow for Sonos to work.

Any advice/confirmation? I can send my Sonos diagnostics if useful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Chris, thanks for the details. If you can send a diagnostic from the controller before it crashes that'd be great. If not, I'd recommend give us a call on our support line. They'll want to grab some details for further examination, we'll want to make sure it isn't network or other device related, though it's certainly looking like an issue with that phone and software.
Same phone, same problem! Any solution other than give you a call?