Answered

Android app not connecting to Sonos

• 19 April 2021
  • 6 replies

I have a network of two Sonos Ones, and on a daily basis, or at least a few times a week the S2 app doesn't connect. This has been going on as long as I remember. I can still perfectly use the system through my SmartThings hub, but it's obviously limited.

I have read in the app review that many others seem to have this problem.

I assume this is a bug, as the app itself (and with recent improved functionality) guides through the process of restarting the speakers. This helps most of the time, but it's not good enough in the long run.

I assume Sonos are aware? Is this bug going to be fixed, and if so, when? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 April 2021, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frewal79 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

This is not a bug. It’s far more likely to be an issue with the configuration of your network. As I write this, your speaker is offline.

The first thing I recommend you do is to make sure your phone is connected to the same WiFi that your speakers are connecting to, and that that network is not a guest network.

Next, temporarily connect your speaker with an ethernet cable to your router - does that help matters? If so, then the issue is more likely to be to do with the speaker remaining connected to the WiFi than with the App-to-speaker communications, though we still can’t rule it out.

It would really help if you could let us know what router you have and what other networking equipment you have (if any).

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it helps connecting to the speaker via cable, but obviously not something I want to do on a permanent basis, or even every time this happens. The phone is definitely on the same network. The reason why I assumed its a bug, or at least something with the app is that:

- The speakers are clearly connected to the network and Internet, I can press the physical buttons and they work, I can continue where I last finished.

- Google assistant works perfectly. 

I can control both my Sonos Ones via my Samsung Smartthings hub, I.e start, stop, volume and play something from the favourites,without any problem. 

I don't use this often, but the few times I have used the desktop app in Win 10 it has always worked. 

It's also not constant. It works again after I have either reconnected the phone/tablet to the network, restarted the speakers, or restarted the router. I just don't want to do that every day. 

The error appears on both my phone (Android 10) and tablet (Android 9). There are less problems on the phone, which again indicated to me it might be an issue with the Android app, also appreciating the difficulty of developing apps for Android with a multitude of hardware and several versions. 

If there is anything I can do in my network settings, please let me know, my router is TP-Link TD-W9970. No other networking equipment. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frewal79 

Thanks for the details.

Checking your router’s manual (https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202001/20200114/1910012731_TD-W9970_UG_REV4.0.0.pdf), there’s a setting I want to make sure isn’t turned on. Please follow these steps:

1. log in to your router at http://192.168.1.1
  2. navigate to Advanced
  3. then to Wireless
  4. then to Advanced Settings
  5. check that AP Isolation is unticked. If it’s ticked, please untick it and click Save underneath it

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to what your Sonos system reports about the situation..

Hi,

This is 100% an issue with the Android App. Works fine on iPhone. I've reconnected twice now on Android and it works briefly and stops. I have 3 Play:1s Google Assistant works fine.

Please escalate to the development team for Android.

James

Hi

Same issue here. Recently (1-2 weeks ago) all devices suddenly disappeared from the android app (2 Ones, Beam + Move) on 2 different phones (Oneplus + Xiaomi). Ones & Move are now back in the app after rebooting but Beam refuses to reappear. On iPad & Windows Controller app, everything works as normal. so it definitely appears an issue with the android app since both phones continue to face the same issue, also after reinstalling app on the phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Hoggleton  & @MHKDB,

while one device may be affected where the other isn’t, the vast majority of the time these issues are related to the network - I’d recommend getting in touch with our Support Team via live chat or phone call, and they can take a closer look at what is going on :)