Amazingly frustrating

• 14 October 2017
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
I’m taking a break from biting the carpet in inconsolable despair to write this. I fear that the October 2017 Sonos app on my iPhone is somewhat short of being truly marvellous. I find I’m having to go in and out of randomly hidden menus in the top rhs or bottom lbs or some other button or arrangement of dots and do so many times in a quest to find that elusive, only occasionally reappearing, menu that has the “line in” button if you scroll right down. I can’t believe how fiendishly difficult it is now to find and do what was easier before. The sooner they can do away with all this lack of clear thinking in the app and get Alexa to do every little thing the better. Compared to spending any more time on this app, chewing up the carpet in desolate, inconsolable frustration and despair would seem to be a more productive use of time. So that’s what I’m going to do now. Goodbye.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I’m taking a break from biting the carpet in inconsolable despair to write this. I fear that the October 2017 Sonos app on my iPhone is somewhat short of being truly marvellous. I find I’m having to go in and out of randomly hidden menus in the top rhs or bottom lbs or some other button or arrangement of dots and do so many times in a quest to find that elusive, only occasionally reappearing, menu that has the “line in” button if you scroll right down. I can’t believe how fiendishly difficult it is now to find and do what was easier before. The sooner they can do away with all this lack of clear thinking in the app and get Alexa to do every little thing the better. Compared to spending any more time on this app, chewing up the carpet in desolate, inconsolable frustration and despair would seem to be a more productive use of time. So that’s what I’m going to do now. Goodbye.

You might find this topics been covered a few times already although in fairness not quite as dramatically
Badge
Not quite as frustrating as having a Christmas party with NO music .... all rooms hidden , followed everything after changing broadband provider.... everything in the house works - except SONOS all my room are hidden..... 4 hours later - it cannot be this hard - really , I am being told to re-set whole system, but then it says don't do this if its just an issue you can't resolve. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...
Do not factory reset everything. I'll try to help but you would have to give a bit more detail about what you have done so far.
Badge
Hi John, switched from BT to EE, have connected bridge to new EE box, and unplugged amp. reconnected all white lights solid and have connected via iphone , ipad and lenovo desk top all good and then it says all your rooms are currently hidden blah blah
Badge
I have one bridge , 1 amp connected to speakers. Before i switched from BT I just used the amp which was wireless to the BT router. I am using the old bridge now because it say to hard wire to your new router..... I have never seen the HIDDEN ROOMS - how do I unhide a room ??
OK, you say 'unplugged amp'. Do you mean powered off a Connect:Amp? Is that now powered back on again?

I assume you were previously running in Boost mode with the Bridge wired to the BT router?
Badge
Previously just running connect-amp wirelessly
So when did the Bridge come into it? I am a bit baffled. Have you at any point entered the SSID and password for you new router's wifi into Sonos?
Or did you mean Connect rather than Bridge - I see you have a Connect? If so, try wiring the Connect:Amp to the new router and power off the Connect temporarily. See if you can see the C:A in the controller.
Badge
i will try that, was hoping not to have to dismantle the living room, but will give it a go
I can't promise anything, But I think you have to try it. If you can then see it in the controller you need to go into Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless Setup to enter new wifi SSID and password. You don't have to bring the speakers, just disconnect them from the C:A.
Badge
Thanks John B appreciate the effort but , looks like my relationship since 2009 with Sonos has come to an end. I have tried everything at least twice - not connected - no system found - rooms hidden....... had enough - waste of a day ... all going online to sell next week.... life is too short and this is too hard.... WPS button anyone ?????
Hopefully when you are not feeling quite so frustrated you will reconsider, although I agree that life is too short to spend MUCH more time on this. It may yet turn out to be a router issue, even though other devices have connected. Could you just take a look inside your router and see if it is giving an IP address to the wired Sonos component? Are there any router settings that might restrict connection, or the issue of IP addresses, to particular types of devices?

Even a power cycle of the router is worth a go and little effort, although better still would be to also power off all networked devices too, then reboot one at a time, starting with the router.
You can see what is connected by looking at your router's status page.

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadband/bright-box-2-wireless-router/bright-box-2-advanced-user-guides/bright-box-2-wireless-router-reserve-an-ip-address
Badge
connected amp to brightbox this morning with cable .... then powered on the sonos.... CONNECTED ??? now unfortunately losing the will to live , I moved the amp back to the room and position it was in originally and now ... we cant connect to SONOS..... Really.............. tried switching off on everything in every order... can't connect to SONOS..... so it did and now it doesn't...............
I’ve had a problem where my Windows 10 is unable to find the Sonos system whereas the iPad Air can. I could cope with operating the radio from the I
Pad but no go with music library. Was about to contact Sonos support when I found seven Sonos down loads dating back to 2015. Removed those and it seems to be back to as it should be on W10. However. The layout for Sonos on iPad is awful. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
connected amp to brightbox this morning with cable .... then powered on the sonos.... CONNECTED ??? now unfortunately losing the will to live , I moved the amp back to the room and position it was in originally and now ... we cant connect to SONOS..... Really.............. tried switching off on everything in every order... can't connect to SONOS..... so it did and now it doesn't...............Did you perform the wireless setup needed to allow you to disconnect the cable? You do not mention having done so
Sorry accidental duplicated post deleted
Badge
Did you perform the wireless setup needed to allow you to disconnect the cable? Please explain John, I think I (we) can crack it !!
If you want to use the system without a Sonos component wired to new router, then you wire a component temporarily and then go into Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless Setup. You may need to delete (reset) previous credentials. Sonos should then discover your new SSID and you will have to enter wifi pw. Follow the prompts and it should tell you OK to disconnect cable
Badge
Trying it ....................fingers crossed
Badge
WORKING.... WOW that was hard, many thanks John B . I think the advice would be do it methodically and don't get wound up.... still think WPS button would be easier ..... THANKS John B
Great news and my pleasure. Any other devices should just need powering on. You should not repeat the setup with other components