Answered

Adding a Product to S1, but app requires me to update to S2

I am adding a new Product (the Ikea Symfonisk) to S1 and my current setup of playbar and x2 Play 1s (which will run fine on S1 app), but takes me tot he page that states the sonos app needs updating, even though I have already the updated S1 app -- when I click update it takes me to update to S2, and there is no way to get around it, and add a product to S1 app.  

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 28 June 2020, 18:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi JenniferBattisti.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

>There should be an option when prompted to update in the app, then confirm that you would like to continue with your current experience using S1.  

>If I understand it correctly, your App was automatically updated now to S2 and you want to still use the S1 App?

>If all of your products are compatible with S2, however, we recommend you update so you can enjoy the new software features.

>But if you prefer to use S1 App instead, I would recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, here are the details:
Contact Number: 1-800-680-2345
The hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10 am-9 pm Eastern time.

You can always reach back to us for any other concern, we are always here to help.

Hi

I seem to be having the same problem, I have a mixture of S1 and S2 products. I want to keep using them all and I thought I could do this with the S1 app. I did install the S2 app briefly but uninstalled as I had incompatible products. I now cannot reconfigure my system with the S1 app, in fact I can't do anything as I keep getting forced to 'upgrade'. I am very, very unhappy

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @arturoui.
Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear you’re also having the same problem with setting up your system using just the S1 App.
We’d like to learn a bit more about what’s going on, have you gone through the S1 to S2 update process? 
If no, what happens if you ignore the message encouraging you to switch to S2?
If yes, are the products separated from S1 and were added on S2 after it was installed?
If you already elect to upgrade to the S2 software, all of your S2 capable Sonos products will be migrated to S2 where they will no longer be able to talk to your S1 products.
I recommend the same options that I also suggested above:

If you prefer to keep using S1, kindly try to check this article about Setting up S1.
Alternatively, you may also contact Sonos Support:
Contact Number: 1-800-680-2345
The hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10 am-9 pm Eastern time.

You can always reach back to us for any other concern, we are always here to help.

Hi Annazel

Thanks for your helpful reply. I think I have resolved this now and I have all of my products working on S2. I am easily confused and what had happened was one of my Play 1 speakers had gone offline, as a surround speaker I hadn't noticed it's absence. When I originally installed the S2 app it wasn't finding this offline speaker. I did a hard power reset and got the speaker back online and it appeared in the reinstalled S2 app. I am hoping everything is now working correctly. Many thanks again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi  @arturoui.

Thank you for the response.

I’m glad to hear that the issue was resolved and all seems to be working fine.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Encountered what I think is the same problem.

All my devices are running S1, but as soon as I go to add a new device it insists I update the app and takes me to the iOS App Store S2 app to download.

I have the same problem, when I try to add a product, the system ask for update to S2 and it gives me no other option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is an APP upgrade message. An app upgrade (on mobile) cannot switch any device to S2. Only the S2 app (called “Sonos”) can upgrade your devices to S2. If you don’t want that, simply do not install the S2 app.

Sonos has always required the latest version of the app when adding new devices. The only thing that has changed is that there are two latest versions now.

And how can I add a second device in S1 because always ask for upgrade

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And how can I add a second device in S1 because always ask for upgrade

Update the app (“Sonos S1”), like it says, then add a new device.

Do not install the S2 app (“Sonos”).

When I touch the update key always goes to App Store to install the S2 version

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When I touch the update key always goes to App Store to install the S2 version

Which app are you running? It should only do this if you are already running S2.

A while ago I had S2 installed but I already uninstalled it

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

A while ago I had S2 installed but I already uninstalled it

Then I have no idea why the S1 app is forcing you to install S2, sorry.

Which product are you trying to add? Products released after May 2020 are only compatible with S2 (Arc, Five, SUB gen. 3) https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Badge

Hello,

I just bought new Sonos speaker (Move) and faced the same problem without solution find here.

I have S1 system and don’t want to upgrade it to S2 since a lof of people says it’s more unstable.

I have NO S2 app.

S1 app has “Add product” function disabled and requires me to update S1 app which then requires me to install S2 app which I don’t want.
If i go directly to Google Play it seems that my current S1 app is up tp date and I cannot upgrade more S1 App.

My S1 version is 11.2.5 compilation 57486101.

What can I do? Now I cannot add new sonos speaker to existing system without upgrading to S2, which I don’t want. The new speaker is Move which suports S1 system.

Hello,

I just bought new Sonos speaker (Move) and faced the same problem without solution find here.

I have S1 system and don’t want to upgrade it to S2 since a lof of people says it’s more unstable.

I have NO S2 app.

S1 app has “Add product” function disabled and requires me to update S1 app which then requires me to install S2 app which I don’t want.
If i go directly to Google Play it seems that my current S1 app is up tp date and I cannot upgrade more S1 App.

My S1 version is 11.2.5 compilation 57486101.

What can I do? Now I cannot add new sonos speaker to existing system without upgrading to S2, which I don’t want. The new speaker is Move which suports S1 system.

Your “Add product” being disabled has nothing to do with S1 vs. S2.  More than likely your device is only partially supported, or you need to do an update to S1.  

Also, S2 is not unstable.  Every update a dozen or so people post here and say the update screwed up their system.  99.99% of the time, they have a router problem, such as duplicate IP assignments.  The problem is the update causes all Sonos units to reboot, and if your router is wonky, you have every Sonos device getting a new IP that is already in use by another device.  For those who aren’t stubborn and admit their router may be at fault, a full network refresh clears this up in no time, and reserving IP addresses eliminates it permanently.

By the way, there was one time an update truly messed with people’s systems.  It only affected the Playbar, and only those in one specific configuration.  For that problem, the main thread hit 100 pages in a few days, with many dozens of other threads cropping up around it.  Unless you see the same traffic for “unstable updates”, you can bet there’s nothing wrong with the update at all.

Badge

I have no other chance I will need give try to S2, but I feel a bit cheated by Sonos, which says S1 is still supported. 

I have no other chance I will need give try to S2, but I feel a bit cheated by Sonos, which says S1 is still supported. 

What happened with this? I am having same issue

Badge

I moved to S2. Happily transition was without issue and on S2 doesn’t work worst/better than on S1.

(I think on S2 they removed Stop all music button, which I was using ealier on)