Ability to select which speakers other housemates/guests can access (& even be able to lock down speakers if need be)

• 23 January 2018
  • 4 replies

I want to be able to choose which speakers housemates/guests have access to. Right now we have a handful of Sonos speakers scattered throughout the house, but we also have speakers in our Bedroom that I (and my wife) want to solely have access to. Is there a way that we can hide these Bedroom speakers so that only we can access these.

Also, is there a way we can set "Admin" rights so that we can control the other speaker units and potentially lock or limit the loudness of these speakers at certain times. For example someone trying to use the SONOS system at 3am on a weekday and accidently blasts at full volume throughout the whole house (including our Bedroom Speakers).

Any insight from users or the SONOS team would be great.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi there, Kiwid. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. There is no Guess Access Mode available on the Sonos Controller. The only way to remove access to Sonos would be to have it on a separate network. I am happy to forward your feature request along to the team to add your name to the list. The team is always looking for ways to improve Sonos so keep the feedback coming.

Thanks again!
Thank you Keith. Yea i thought about creating another network but then that means i have to keep switching networks when i move from the bedroom to the living room, and then i cannot group them if i want all the house speakers playing the same sound. So creating a new network would effectively take away the biggest perk I love about the SONOS System which is the ease of use.
I also would like to request a Guest Access mode or at least some kind of mode where i can limit the access to certain speakers without using a separate wifi network completely.
I use Google WiFi. Have multiple Sonos Connects on network. Has a separate guest network and easy to select which devices can be seen / accessed from guest WiFi. So any visitors (and aupair) who are on guest WiFi can only see and access 2 of 7 zones when they open Sonos app. No limit volume on these zones - something I wish for and would be a great addition. I know when I’m away the volume is maxed out (it see history of volume / what’s been played through Sonos integration into Samsung Smartthings hub). I’m waiting for neighbors to complain about music when I’m away. Sonos - pin code protected volume limits please.