Youtube Music not playing entire Library Songs - only select few

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry, NOT playing entire Library Songs.

The YTMusic app on Sonos offers to stream my Library’s collection of Songs but only seems to be capturing a very, very small fraction of my entire Songs collection. Is there a way to be sure and get all my Songs shuffled through on the Sono’s app? The ‘Your Mix’ option is misleading as well. It creatively mixes in new ‘recommended’ songs which I’m not interested in so that’s not a solution. I want all my Songs streaming from my LIbrary collection, please, not some limited selection. Thanks, comments please. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kbradsmith,

Welcome back to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your Question. 

Is this limited track behavior limited only to accessing YouTube Music via the Sonos app or does this happen within the YouTube Music app as well?

Are you able to locate and playback music library tracks or albums through your Sonos app other than the “ Your Mix” option?

If you are still experiencing limited playback function, can you submit a diagnostic report and if possible take a few screen captures of your YouTube Music interface so that we can see what is going on.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Jean.  This limited songs playlist is only happening in the Sonos app. With GPM, it was difficult to load my entire songs library but it did eventually shuffle all songs. Not with YT Music on Sonos. The songs shuffle works fine on other YT Music apps and browser.  The Your Mix option is not an option as it attempts to insert music that I’d like which, after trying it for a few days, has failed to recommend music I like. I only want to stream the songs that are from my Library. 

Thanks. Awaiting more feedback. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kbradsmith,

Thank you for the additional details on your YouTube Music playback behavior. 

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system and include the confirmation number in your reply?

If you could also include a screen shot of the main screen of your YouTube Music interface from your Sonos app it might help us to understand what is happening with your system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jean,

Diagnostic number: 1919190988

I understand that Sonos can only import 999 songs to the queue however it seems that the 999 songs aren’t pulling from my entire YTMusic Library/ Songs collection. Rather it appears the 999 songs are from my most recently listened to artists which results in excluding all the others as well as a high repetition of these artists in the ‘shuffle’. Here’s the screenshot: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kbradsmith,

Thank you for the additional details and the screen shot, it’s easier to help when I can see what you are seeing.

Down at the bottom of your center column there is a button that says “Clear Queue”, can you hit that and then return to the main “Youtube Music “ heading by clicking on the back arrow to the left of where it says “YouTube Music” at the top of the right-hand column. What are your options for playback in the previous menu there?   

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. 

I see Home, New Releases, Charts, Library, Your Mix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kbradsmith,

If you select “Library” do you have any choices available or is it blank? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kbradsmith, do you have playlists and tracks available under either Songs or Playlists? If you are missing content, how many tracks would you say are missing from the Sonos interface in this service? 

Can you provide a screenshot from the YouTube Music app so we can compare the available content.?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. Yeah, there are thousands of songs missing from this list. Sonos isn't pulling in my entire list. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there a limit to the number of songs that can be loaded?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kbradsmith,

There is a total limit on the number of tracks on Sonos playlists of 10,000 tracks overall. 

Sonos should be able to access and play your Playlist in full if it is available in the linked YouTube Music account. Is your YouTube Music still pulling from suggest tracks or are you able to play your songs though the library subheading? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Jean. Again, I’m trying to pull Song tracks from my Library collection which I believe has about 19k songs. 

I unistalled and reinstalled the TYMusic from my Sonos and tried shuffling Songs again. Here’s the screenshot. NOTICE there are only 999 songs in the queue. You mentioned it could put 10,000 in a playlist. Can you explain why this is limited to 999? 

Thx. Kevin

Userlevel 1
Badge

Jean, 

Here is what my Sono’s looks like when I pull in my Songs (from Library) on GPM. I get the max number of songs and, for some reason, a more random shuffle selection from my Songs/Library.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kbradsmith,

This would be a limitation imposed by the YouTube Music service in it’s 3rd party interface. I do know that YouTube Music is still working out the details in their system..

Just to check, can you clear the queue again and then load a playlist (larger than 999 songs) from a different service to make sure that this behavior isn’t occurring on other sources?

Userlevel 1
Badge

So you are confirming that is it something that YTMusic is imposing? My only other playlist that I can load to show over 999 is from GPM which I’d sent to you already. So, you’re telling me the limit is this? But my issue is that the songs are not random at all. They’re pulling only from my latest listened to albums and repeating a lot in the 999 songs. Is this also YTMusic? Thx

So you are confirming that is it something that YTMusic is imposing? My only other playlist that I can load to show over 999 is from GPM which I’d sent to you already. So, you’re telling me the limit is this? But my issue is that the songs are not random at all. They’re pulling only from my latest listened to albums and repeating a lot in the 999 songs. Is this also YTMusic? Thx

Each music service is responsible for their own UI in the Sonos app, along with all the information that comes into it.  Sonos merely gives them an API, all the coding is done by the service.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks for the assist, @jgatie.

@kbradsmith, I can’t speak for YouTube in this matter but it seems like this limitation is something that they will have to iron out as a service if they want to successfully replace GooglePlay Music. 

Are you able to construct your own playlists within YouTube Music that will include more of what you would like to hear? I had similar issues with iTunes “random” playback where it seemed to think that I wanted to hear the same 25 songs on endless repeat despite having 40 gigs of music at its disposal. Some trickery was required to defeat the algorithm.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks. I thought that the idea of creating my own Library with albums, artist and songs IS my own playlist. 

Oh well. We tried.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@kbradsmith,

In an ideal world, it would be enough. In this case YouTube Music seems to require some more specific guidance on the matter.  

Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm speaking with them directly and will let you know. 👍

I’ve played around with this and did some extensive testing and can confirm that Sonos is only loading the 999 most recently added tracks tracks from your YouTube Music library. I have over 5,000 songs in my YouTube Music library and the order in which Sonos displays these is “recently added”. I went over to YouTube Music and loaded (albeit painfully) the entire page of my tracks. I found that the bottom track I was seeing in YouTube Music was not the same bottom track that was displayed in Sonos. I then did a CTRL+F and searched for the bottom track that was displayed in Sonos within YouTube Music and it was the 999th track. To verify that Sonos is only shuffling the most recently added 999 YouTube Music tracks I did a shuffle of my entire YouTube Music library within Sonos and while I still had the YouTube Music page open I spot checked around 50 or so tracks and they were all from the first 999 tracks in my YouTube Music browser. So, now I’ve done the testing here we know that Sonos is only loading the most recent 999 tracks added to YouTube Music and also only shuffling these tracks, but who is going to fix this? Is it on Sonos or YouTube Music?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Nate_11,

As mention up-thread, our music partners determine how their content is accessed through the Sonos interface, so this limitation is out of our hands for the time being.   

@Jean C. - thanks for the clarification! This means we’ll have to hound YouTube Music for this. The workaround for this is of course to cast the YouTube Music app directly to Sonos, but this doesn’t work. When you click cast withing YouTube Music Sonos speakers are not available, only Chromecast devices… This worked with Google Play Music, but not with YouTube Music. Is this also on YouTube Music to fix?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@Nate_11, it is indeed.

You can learn more about which services allow direct control of Sonos from their app here