Answered

Youtube Music Not Displaying Full Library

• 10 November 2023
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi folks,

New to the Sonos ecosystem so was looking forward to using the app with my Youtube Music account.

But i seem to be hitting upon an issue whereupon the Sonos app will only show me a small number of artists/songs/playlists from my Youtube Music Library.

For example, in the Artist section I can only access artists up to the letter I.

Songs/PlaylistsAlbums also only offer me a small selection from my Library.

Anyone come across this? Is there a fix?

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 November 2023, 16:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

How small a number? We are aware that, currently, only 500 items will show in a container (where you view YouTube Music within the Sonos app) and we have reported this to YouTube Music.

To work around this, you will be able to search for specific artists/albums/tracks, and get results from tracks uploaded to YTM specifically - you can also mark these as favourites and play them from My Sonos to avoid doing the search again.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

We believe this issue has now been fixed, but need to confirm so with affected customers - are you able to confirm that you can now browse your uploaded music properly (please note that there is still a maximum limit of how many items can be displayed, but this has now been increased to 999).

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

Nope, just checked - I’m still having the same problem.

I can still only see a limited number of albums/songs or artists etc in the Sonos app - not just uploads but also songs etc in the regular YTM library within the Sonos app.

I’ve done a count on it and it seems to be a limit of 100.

Again, this restriction does not just apply to uploads but also to regular YTM content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

Okay, that’s disappointing! Could you please try removing your YouTube Music account from your Sonos system, then re-add it and check again?

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

If that doesn’t help, please submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the given number and share a screenshot demonstrating the missing tracks? I’ll need these to hand over as proof to the engineers. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’ve submitted a support diagnostic - 1153429190.

I don’t really know how I can demonstrate missing tracks. Neither the Sonos app nor YTM app shows a total number of tracks.

I’ve recorded a video of myself scrolling through the Sonos and YTM apps.

On the Sonos video you can see that the scrolling stops quite quickly - after 100 tracks.

On the YTM video you can see that I can scroll for much longer - I have thousands of songs in my library.

I’ve uploaded the videos here - 

Sonos App - https://youtube.com/shorts/c9l2zms5Lfk

YTM App - https://youtube.com/shorts/pWIVELpnObc

Hope that helps

a

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

Both of those videos are marked as private and cannot be viewed - if you can mark them as public, I’m sure they will more than suffice!

Thank you!

Userlevel 1

Done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

Thanks - I can see them now. I’ll forward those and your diagnostics over to a colleague for examination.

Please be aware, however, that a software update was just released an hour ago - I don’t think the issue you have actually has anything to do with the software itself, but it won’t hurt to check. Please go Settings » System » Updates » Check for Updates twice - once to update the app, and a second time to update the system. Thanks.

I’m having the same issue, only shows 100 album/artists etc.  I tried updating to the latest release and removing then re-adding the YTM account and it’s still the same.  The issue is the same on my Android phone and iPad

Do you want another diagnostic or you are ok with the one you’ve got?

Thanks

Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @coombsb 

More data points can’t hurt, so yes please - submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given. Please try the new update first though, if you haven’t already. Thank you.

Ok done - 256252049

And yes, have updated.

Userlevel 1

Just to confirm that the update didn't fix the issue for me either 😐👌

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @coombsb 

Thanks! I’ll pass that along too.

Hi @aferdia 

OK, thanks for trying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia & @coombsb 

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. We’re going to continue looking in to this issue, but in the meantime, I refer you to my earlier post for the workaround:

To work around this, you will be able to search for specific artists/albums/tracks, and get results from tracks uploaded to YTM specifically - you can also mark these as favourites and play them from My Sonos to avoid doing the search again.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. Appreciate your responses and help.

I have to say that the workaround isn't really much of a remedy for wanting to scroll and browse through a music library and choose an album or song.

I have thousands of albums and songs in my library - a lifetime's worth - I like to be able to scroll through these with no idea of what I'm going to choose to play until I actually see it.

To be honest, the limit of 999 albums/songs isn't a solution either - people need to be able to go through their entire collection - akin to looking through a DVD or vinyl collection.

Again, thank you for your help - but tbh for Sonos to say that it supports YTM when it doesn't support this basic function is at best misleading. I've only just this week invested in 3 Sonos speakers for a room because I was told it supported YTM. I would have chosen a different system had I known I can't see my music library properly.

And once more, I'm not giving out to you - you've been helpful but this is pretty poor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aferdia 

I understand - I too have YTM Premium and also see this issue. I wasn’t aware until just now, however, as I usually just use the Supermix playlist. I have informed my colleague so that he can use me for any future testing.

Incidentally, it is the music service themselves that are responsible for the content shown in the Sonos app when viewing that service’s library. As you are a paying customer of YouTube Music, I recommend that you provide the same feedback to them.

You can add me to the list of people having this issue.  I seem to remember it being an issue years ago, but then went away.  Sometime in the past couple months it seems to have come back.  Should I submit a support diagnostic as well?

Probably enough to report it to YouTube, since they are the ones who have to make the fix happen. 

I am also having the same issue.  On the you tube website I can see all of my music.  In Sonos it stops right after B for artists - nothing from B on.  I can search and find them but I don’t remember everything I uploaded.  This is definitely a Sonos issue.

Similar issue here. Have multiple times removed and re-added my YouTube account and the Sonos app still doesn't show a playlist or library content.  Is there an option to use the Roam like a 'normal' Bluetooth speaker while accessing YouTube directly?

Same here. This needs to get corrected. It used to work fine…

Userlevel 1

i have this problem, too. Although I have hundreds of artists and albums (and probably thousands of songs) in my actual YTM library, no categories from my YTM account on Sonos have more than 100 entries. With nine Sonos speakers in my house, I’m pretty much committed to Sonos. And You Tube Music Premium is my service of choice.
Cory P of Sonos has said here that “ ...it is the music service themselves that are responsible for the content shown in the Sonos app when viewing that service’s library,”  which I believe, but it doesn’t say that YTM is responsible for what is not shown in their library of the Sonos app, i.e., the truncation of the lists. I’d be interested in hearing back from Cory on this point. I don’t want to waste time barking up the wrong tree. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Cory P of Sonos has said here that “ ...it is the music service themselves that are responsible for the content shown in the Sonos app when viewing that service’s library,”  which I believe, but it doesn’t say that YTM is responsible for what is not shown in their library of the Sonos app, i.e., the truncation of the lists. I’d be interested in hearing back from Cory on this point. I don’t want to waste time barking up the wrong tree. Thanks!

Any size limits on music item enumerators is entirely imposed by the music service (YTM in this case). I am not aware of any limit in any of the Sonos clients to the number of items from an enumerator other than 65535.

Generally enumerators are asked (by the Sonos app) for items in 200-item pages”. Its up to each service how many times these “pages” work. A service can also specify a custom “page-size” though I do not track which ones use this feature (as my own apps ignore this attribute).

I’m another example where the YouTube indexing stops after about 100 entries. I know I can search the rest but that is no solution. I’ve submitted a diagnostic ref 497085399. Is there any solution yet? 

I’m also experiencing this issue. I found this on Google’s YTM support page https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en, which seems to imply that YTM Premium is required to play one’s uploaded library on Sonos. I certainly hope I’m reading this wrong:

• YouTube Music Premium members can also cast uploaded content or play it from smart speakers and Sonos.