Answered

You Tube through Beam sound bar

I want to load a You Tube music video on my iPhone and play the audio through my Sonos sound bar (not the official YouTube Music app). Can it be done?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 March 2023, 18:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Use Airplay: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/stream-airplay-audio-to-sonos

You could AirPlay 2 the audio to the Beam. I’m not 100% sure I know about the delay that may or may not be involved. 

That’s assuming you have a Beam. This wouldn’t be possible, for instance, with a PLAYBAR, since it’s not an AirPlay 2 target. 

I tried the Airplay option. My phone recognised the sound bar and when I selected it, it just froze the video. I only bought the sound bar today and it has had it’s software updated. I’m still at a loss. I wonder if Sonos need to add the You Tube (standard You Tube not You Tube Music) in with the You Tube Music selection?

Airplay should work.  I’d try it again, then submit a diagnostic and get in touch with support. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I just tried this and could replicate it.

looks like it is a YouTube issue rather than a Sonos issue as AirPlay works fine on other services.

I just tried this and could replicate it.

looks like it is a YouTube issue rather than a Sonos issue as AirPlay works fine on other services.

Could be.  I’m not an Airplay user, so I can’t say for sure. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I know YouTube places quite a few restrictions on playback, background only being for premium etc.

it’s not a Premium feature though, as I pay for premium.

The way to test is to use AirPlay 2 to send some other video’s audio to the Beam, not using the YouTube client. If that works, as I expect it will, then the issue is between the YouTube client and AirPlay 2.

Caveat: I’m not a Youtube user/subscriber in any way. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yep, Netflix works fine

Deffo a YouTube issue, probably a deliberate “feature” by YouTube.

That’s definitely unfortunate, but thanks for confirming. Perhaps the OP should be complaining to Google, who owns YouTube?

If it were me, I’d be watching the YouTube video on my Apple TV, which would automatically send the audio from the TV to my Arc….but that’s not what they suggested. Wonder how my brain would react if the video was on my phone, and the audio coming from somewhere else?

My nephew has resolved the problem. All I needed to do was click onto the next track and it started working! I could then click back to the first track and that started working as well. Thanks for all your responses.