Skip to main content

Workarounds for broken sonos app?

• 21 May 2024
  • 8 replies

The new Sonos app is completely unusable for me (blacked out buttons, buttons do wrong things). Some workarounds I’ve found include:

1. Ask my wife to play music (Her iphone app is not updated)
  2. Chromecast Youtube music to Roku connected to playbase.
  3. Use the physical buttons on the Sonos device to control volume.

Other ideas out there? I have hundreds of dollars in Sonos equipment to use if I can figure out how.

8 replies

Userlevel 1

None of these workarounds are any good. The app has been broken for 3 weeks and I don’t recommend Sonos to anyone. Their support services are woeful, and the local dealer is probably going to throw them under the bus.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The new Sonos app is completely unusable for me (blacked out buttons, buttons do wrong things). Some workarounds I’ve found include:

1. Ask my wife to play music (Her iphone app is not updated)
  2. Chromecast Youtube music to Roku connected to playbase.
  3. Use the physical buttons on the Sonos device to control volume.

Other ideas out there? I have hundreds of dollars in Sonos equipment to use if I can figure out how.

Have you tried resetting the app and reconnecting to your system? Many users have regained some connection by resetting.

I deleted and reinstalled the app. Buttons still blacked out and inoperable. The connection is fine and I can stream Youtube music as long as I don’t mind listening to what ever song Sonos chooses. It seems to pick a song a few items further down my playlist. But I can’t listen to radio anymore.

Userlevel 1

I have tried re setting both apps, S1+2, every day for over 2 weeks. Also changing the account settings, and my sound bar, boost, sub woofer and speakers cannot connect. Even Sonos support gave up after nearly 2 hours. The software development is crap, ten times worse than Tesla, who at least stop or fix updates pretty quickly.

Have you noted this FAQ article, and the release notes here?

Userlevel 1

Just reset the app to check it is the latest version and it has crashed again with no access. I have uninstalled and installed it at least a dozen times since last week. The local dealer has said there are a lot of problems for a lot of people with Sonos at present and don’t expect it to improve until at least next month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You could try one of the 3rd party controller apps that are out there. I will DM you the one I use.

Ross

I think I am gonna sell up. The lack of response from Sonos is disrespectful 😒.  It would be funny were it not tragic. Who thought removing analogue volume and timer was a good idea. The glitches are remarkable. The loss of playlists which cannot be restored persistent: In the "real world" someone would take responsibility and apologise if not fires. This has taught me to halt expanding my gear.