Skip to main content
Question

Windows Controller App Update 9 Aug - Any Experience/Feedback?

• 9 August 2024
  • 7 replies

I got the message below when I noticed an “Update Now” icon in my Win 10 Controller V 16.2

Has anybody out there installed this? The fact that it warns that “during the update all audio playback will be stopped” makes me very suspicious that it will actually do a firmware update as that’s the message you get when you do that.

Call me paranoid but that’s the last thing I want to do as I am still happily running V16.2 firmware.

Any comments/advice?

Hi @jreddaway, you are correct: the v16.3 desktop app requires a system update to the v16.3 firmware. Both of those were released 3-some-odd weeks ago.

Thanks, @press250 , I'll stick with what I've got for now. 

Do you know whether hitting "install" on that button triggers both the app and the firmware update as a single process?  If it does, it would be a very sneaky way of getting around the "do not update" firmware setting in the app. 

Nothing, frankly, would surprise me at this stage.

Thanks, @press250 , I'll stick with what I've got for now. 

Do you know whether hitting "install" on that button triggers both the app and the firmware update as a single process?  If it does, it would be a very sneaky way of getting around the "do not update" firmware setting in the app. 

Nothing, frankly, would surprise me at this stage.

It is not possible to tell from this dialog whether its just an app update, or a firmware update, or both.

And yes, if you have disabled auto-updates in the mobile app, that will be ignored. So don’t update anything, if your desire is to leave the firmware alone.

Thank you, @controlav .  If this prompted update overrides the disabled auto-update switch in the app this would indeed be a very sneaky way of smuggling a firmware update past those who consciously choose to prevent it happening. 

I am sure I saw somewhere in the interminable threads here a comment from one of the Sonos staff stating enmphatically that firmware upgrades are never pushed out when that switch is off. 

Another small brick in the wall of distrust for Sonos and their processes.  I will follow your advice and forego the Windows app upgrade. 

Thank you, @controlav .  If this prompted update overrides the disabled auto-update switch in the app this would indeed be a very sneaky way of smuggling a firmware update past those who consciously choose to prevent it happening. 

I am sure I saw somewhere in the interminable threads here a comment from one of the Sonos staff stating enmphatically that firmware upgrades are never pushed out when that switch is off. 

Another small brick in the wall of distrust for Sonos and their processes.  I will follow your advice and forego the Windows app upgrade. 

Why are you so anxious to update the Windows app anyway? The only reason it needs an update is to force the 16.3 firmware on the speakers.

To be fair to Sonos the option you are talking about disables automatic firmware updates. The PC never does automatic updates, it’s always manual: you have to click on the Update button. Not the same.

If you're hesitant about the update due to the audio playback warning, consider backing up your current settings and performing the update to ensure your system remains secure and functional, as it's likely a standard precaution rather than a firmware change.