Skip to main content

Windows 10 computer can't find my existing Sonos system, in order to play music library

This seems to be a common problem but the common suggestions won’t fix mine. I had to re-install Windows 10 recently, along with all programs. I downloaded and installed the Sonos application in order to play my music library from the computer, properly set all firewall exceptions, etc., and my computer cannot find my “Sonos product”. The computer is directly connected to the internet/wireless router and my connect:amp and components are connected via wifi. All music streaming services are working properly, after some excellent expertise from Sonos support. Before I bother them again on this problem I’d like to try to resolve it myself, if that’s possible. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Perhaps ensure the network profile is set to ‘private’ … see this support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-windows-10-network-and-security-settings

Thanks, Ken. I have done that, to no avail. Also, I don’t have any anti-virus application other than the embedded Windows “Microsoft Defender” app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ken has covered the most common problem with Windows, the Public/Private network issue. If you install my Windows app (see my profile) and that also doesn’t work I can take a look at the diagnostics from it and may be able to assist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you want to try self-diagnosis, take a look at the most recent xml file in this directory:

C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime

(assuming you are using the S2 app, remove the V2 part of the path if using S1).

Thank you. I am using the S2 app and I see the file you’re talking about - managedshares.xml - and have no idea what to make of it. I also looked at your profile; I’d be happy to install the app and give it a try. Where do I get it? I’m a tech lightweight so I may be missing some obvious things. Thanks for your effort and patience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Edit: see above.

@CWTL,
Check that the library shared folders containing your music are actually shared over the LAN. Here’s some information on sharing files/folders in Windows-10:

https://www.itechguides.com/share-folder-windows-10/

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@CWTL,
Check that the library shared folders containing your music are actually shared over the LAN. Here’s some information on sharing files/folders in Windows-10:

That is not necessary if the Sonos app is installed on the same PC as the files. No sharing required, thanks to the SonosLibraryService.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thank you. I am using the S2 app and I see the file you’re talking about - managedshares.xml - and have no idea what to make of it. I also looked at your profile; I’d be happy to install the app and give it a try. Where do I get it? I’m a tech lightweight so I may be missing some obvious things. Thanks for your effort and patience.

Sorry wrong xml file - you want the newest one with the funky name, and ideally a text editor that can handle an xml file “prettily”.

My app is “Phonos Universal” in the Windows Store. If it fails to find any players, click Help and it will send me an email so I can look at the diagnostics.

@CWTL,

That is not necessary if the Sonos app is installed on the same PC as the files. No sharing required, thanks to the SonosLibraryService.

That surprises me @controlav as it infers my Wife, for example, can log onto our ‘shared’ PC under her user profile/login and still share the music library stored under my profile/login, if she knows the path to the folder. I thought permissions needed to be set?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@CWTL,

That surprises me @controlav as it infers my Wife, for example, can log onto our ‘shared’ PC under her user profile/login and still share the music library stored under my profile/login, if she knows the path to the folder. I thought permissions needed to be set?

No permissions necessary. The SonosLibraryService reads the files directly (it runs as Local System so can read anything on your machine) and shares them via an https service. There is a “secret” to ensure only your Sonos speakers can read them, and nothing else on your local network.

No permissions necessary. The SonosLibraryService reads the files directly (it runs as Local System so can read anything on your machine) and shares them via an https service. There is a “secret” to ensure only your Sonos speakers can read them, and nothing else on your local network.

Thanks @controlav I didn’t realise that was the case. 👍

I followed Ken’s instructions and the Sonos app on my phone could not find the computer or it would give me the usual 1002 error message. I tried it for the folder where my music resides and also for the iTunes library with no luck in either case. I also downloaded the Phonos Universal app (free trial) and that app could not find it either. I also followed controlav’s instruction to click “Help” and I sent the e-mail which popped up. At this point I’m considering simply buying a digital music player to hook up to the Sonos system directly, something I’ve been thinking about for some time anyway, if for no other reason than to be done with the frustration of iTunes, (e.g., substituting different versions of music that I’ve purchased and ripped to that app), and other issues with streaming services and Big Tech generally. Let me know if there are any other suggestions in the meantime, and I do appreciate your efforts very much. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I followed Ken’s instructions and the Sonos app on my phone could not find the computer or it would give me the usual 1002 error message. I tried it for the folder where my music resides and also for the iTunes library with no luck in either case. I also downloaded the Phonos Universal app (free trial) and that app could not find it either. I also followed controlav’s instruction to click “Help” and I sent the e-mail which popped up. At this point I’m considering simply buying a digital music player to hook up to the Sonos system directly, something I’ve been thinking about for some time anyway, if for no other reason than to be done with the frustration of iTunes, (e.g., substituting different versions of music that I’ve purchased and ripped to that app), and other issues with streaming services and Big Tech generally. Let me know if there are any other suggestions in the meantime, and I do appreciate your efforts very much. Thanks!

I didn’t get your “help” email, can you please try again? Also please share the exact time you did it, and I can look up the diagnostics by time instead.

I sent the e-mail from the message that popped up in the program after clicking ‘Help’ yesterday, 7/15/2023 at 5:36 p.m. and again just now, 7/16/2023 at 10:06 a.m. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I sent the e-mail from the message that popped up in the program after clicking ‘Help’ yesterday, 7/15/2023 at 5:36 p.m. and again just now, 7/16/2023 at 10:06 a.m. Thanks

I got the second one, thanks. The log is pretty sparse, it scanned your Ethernet-connected network and nothing was found. The connection is not marked as Public, so its not that. Although rare, I would check this setting (under the Private section):

Yes, that is how it is set on my machine

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, that is how it is set on my machine

Assuming File & Printer sharing below it are also enabled, try this:

In File Explorer, what do you see under Network? You should see Media Devices:

No media devices, only the computer is shown.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No media devices, only the computer is shown.

Well that is the crux of the issue, until Media Devices show there, neither the official Sonos app nor mine will work. Something major is blocking it from communicating with other devices on your network, and I’m out of ideas.

Thanks, controlav and Ken, for your time, expertise and effort. If I discover a solution I will report it here.