Answered

Why is the YouTube Music connection within the Sonos app so broken?

• 9 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Why are there so many things that don’t work when using the YouTube Music connection within the Sonos app that work fine in the YouTube Music app itself? Every time I ask Sonos they say, “Google hasn’t provided the tools for us to implement that yet” and every time I ask Google they say, “You’ll need to ask Sonos about that”. 

Even stuff that appears to work on the surface doesn’t work right. I’ve been noticing that when I go to “My Supermix” on YTM within the Sonos app that it keeps playing a lot of the same songs and the songs it does play are mostly from the same genre (jazz, country, rock, etc….depending on what I last listened to). I just figured this was YTM’s crappy algorithm but then I started listening to that same “My Supermix” directly from the YTM app and low and behold...it actual had a decent mix of genre’s and songs that I’ve liked mixed with new songs.

What is going on Sonos????

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 March 2021, 16:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos points their controller to the server provided by YouTube/Google, and don’t touch or modify the data stream they receive in any way, so what you may be seeing in Sonos is a reflection of YouTube Music’s implementation on their server. You may get a better answer to your question if you contact YouTube Music. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The YTM integration with Sonos is pretty terrible, and it is 100% Google’s fault. They don’t seem to care - since it released they have made exactly one fix: to increase the max size of a playlist from 99 to 999 items. Big deal. Unhappy YTM users seem generally happier after switching to iBroadcast.