Skip to main content

Why is the new Sonos App crap?

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

This update is awful. I went onto TIDAL and chose Kate Bush top tracks. There is no button to play the list. Also, every time I change a song or anything it defaults to a speaker in the basement. I have eight zones in my house and it keeps defaulting there 

The update sucks massively 

Sonos is awful.  Bluesound here I come

There is definitely something fishy going on with Sonos, I believe its simply greed, they want to make their older products obsolete so we buy new, it is of course called ‘pre-meditated obsolesce’.

Well I tell you what Sonos you can stick the whole show up your bum, I’m going chuck the whole system in the bin ! 

Goodbye. 

SonoPad and SonoPhone - just saying 👍

Sono Pad & Sono Phone - £3.99

Been waiting on hold for an hour when I was quoted a 20 minute wait. I have a dozen speakers that are completely unusable due to the update as the system became unrecognized and now I’m stuck in a “update, sign in as owner, your not the owner” loop. 

very frustrating. 

This is exactly what I am dealing with.  When I finally got through to customer support, they had me reset my app and reset my speaker over and over and then ended the call by saying “you are going to have to use an ethernet cable going forward”.  You don’t know how angry that made me!  One of the key reasons for buying a sonos was it’s wireless capability.   This company has gone form being one of my favorites to making me sick to my stomach for what they have done.  They are as slimy as used care salesmen now.  It’s as if someone one high up decided, lets make the worst app possible and force them to upgrade to the newest speaker model. Although I don’t know if that makes anything better or not.  I was just about to buy another speaker with a gift card I received.  Not now.  I’ll be searching for a whole new line of speakers that can guarantee I can run wireless.  I never had connectivity issues until I “upgraded” the app.  Just brutal.

Ok, so i guess that means no news or weather this morning… 

I guess no radio today either 🤬😡🤬🤯

How in the world can such a respectful company launch such a faulty software??! It is beyond a royal mess-up. Your speakers are only as good as the software driving them and for now their value is similar to the corresponding weight in rock. 
You launched the new app close to a month ago and we have had nothing from your end to acknowledge the mistake. 

Customer service, first lession. Listen and acknowledge. Really basic stuff Sonos.

I have been a promoter for your brand and speakers for more than 7 years, but I am seriously looking at alternatives. Wake up!!!

New app is unusable.  I put my phone down for 5 minutes and it forgets my system.  Then I have to locate the system again.  Then it rarely finds it.  Then it’s super slow between song selection and volume.  Then it forgets the Sonos network and I have to hunt for it again.  What an awful experience.  Does the engineering team know anything about QA?  Are you using AI to generate app release?  Shame!

Remember guys - it took “courage” to make this app more frustrating. I literally have to restart my Sonos network by pulling out the power in order to get my Arc + 2 Sonos Ones + Sub to recognize on the app. 

Thankfully Android users can revert to the less-awful version 16.1 of the app by downloading it and installing it from a third-party site like apkpure. It worked for me to fix a problem with mostly-disabled favorites.

I've never owned a tech product that gave me as much frustration as Sonos has.

Another issue is that I get a System Not Found message with this new App on my Android tablet. I must start the App twice, then it opens without the error message.

I have that similar problem too!

How in the world can such a respectful company launch such a faulty software??! It is beyond a royal mess-up. Your speakers are only as good as the software driving them and for now their value is similar to the corresponding weight in rock. 
You launched the new app close to a month ago and we have had nothing from your end to acknowledge the mistake. 

Customer service, first lession. Listen and acknowledge. Really basic stuff Sonos.

I have been a promoter for your brand and speakers for more than 7 years, but I am seriously looking at alternatives. Wake up!!!

The corporate leadership need to respond faster to fix all these frustrating issues for the customers.

I could not agree more. From its nonsensical UI cards to broken and missing functionality, the new app is a dumpster fire of stupidity. Why on earth would you take something that was great and totally burn it to the ground? Frankly, unless they were specifically directed by the board of directors to release this product, regardless of known issues and customer dislike, Tucker Severson and especially Diane Roberts should be held accountable for this debacle. This app release reflects a SERIOUS leadership issue at Sonos, and since they are publicly traded, you can and should use your shares, even if you own one share, to voice your concerns and vote for change. 

has anyone from Sonos responded to all of our complaints?  this is so stupid.

How does a comprehensive software update like this get released without extensive testing? Its unresponsive, sleep timer has vanished, just Unbelievable.  I was about to recommend Sonos to a friend- but sure as heck not now.

Went to APKmirror and downloaded Sonos v16.1 - I think it only works for android users though. 

Thanks for the tip... I just did the same and it works! Back to how it was before the stupid update. Just went into settings and disabled auto update for apps too. Cheers ATCO👍

It’s insanity how terrible Sonos has gotten.  The value for Sonos is not the speaker quality for the price. It was the software and ability to connect music everywhere in your home.  Pay attention Sonos!!! 

how is it that the SONOS app was so good back in 2015 and now here we are in 2024 and it’s barely functional. Lags with every input, search function is an issue, crashes nonstop. 

@sonos spend the money to get good developers and fix the app.  It’s your only selling proposition for god sake. 

I’ve been trying the ‘Sonopad’ app £3.99, worth a try, not perfect but better than Sonos !!

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

Agreed the app is terrible. Makes me want to rip it all out. 

Why? Why ruin an app that works with removing key features and function? I cannot recommend Sonos any more unless they change this quick 

Why? Why ruin an app that works with removing key features and function? I cannot recommend Sonos any more unless they change this quick 

You ask why?  Isn’t it pretty obvious? 

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home

I am a 10 year Sonos user, I have 15 current series products in my house that I can use maybe three zones Sonos blames my network system, which has worked perfectly the last three years on my previous Sonos app, even when I completely default unit and re-added it to the system it still says unable to connect, I am involved with application updates frequently for all kinds of systems and this is really the worst, whoever the Team leader was for this update Needs a good ass whooping.!

I’m ready to join a class action lawsuit, maybe I can get some of my $15,000 investment and Sonos back!

This update is monumentally awful. What the hell were Sonos thinking. Just opening the App induces stress, it’s near unusable & almost impossible to navigate. Sonos have near bricked my entire home sound system. Surely by providing an App that is the main gateway to interacting with the Speakers they sell, they are solely responsible to making so many people’s audio equipment defunct. Is there any way to revert back to the old App using iOS