Skip to main content

Why is the new Sonos App crap?

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

268 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

This has to be the worst update to an app I’ve ever seen. So buggy. So inconsistent. I can’t use my system consistently and that’s ridiculous considering the amount I paid for it. No way did beta testers says this was a good app and to release it. Sonos, please fix this asap. This is so bad. 

I don’t normally post on any user groups, but the new Sonos app is so bad, I feel forced to comment.  My system is now unusable. One “room” has now become the default room. I can’t select a different room to stream music too. I wouldn’t mind, but the default room is the en-suite bathroom. It’s not a social place to meet with others and listen to music. I can’t create a queue and add songs to it. I’ve not tried any of the other more sophisticated functions. I’m scared. I can’t find the old S2 app to reinstall. Basically, i’m f@@@@d and so is my system. I feel I’ve been conned into buying Sonos kit. They can’t support their own system. It’s as bad as when they had to apologise for creating an app that forces everyone to scrap their Sonos components. 

This new app has me now wondering what Sonos is going to do next, screw around with the sound quality so that you won't notice that the app is crap?????

I am close to bricking these black boxes.  I do not use all the features of the system, just a basic play it and forget user.  It is very frustrating even trying to do that.  Useless.  You want me to spend more money?  Do better, my dollars are important and will go to the best bang for my buck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

it’s unanimous, almost. the new app is terrible. As a software dev, I have sometimes worked on new versions of things and some old features were lost. But I’ve never heard of an “update” removing so many critical features from any pieces of software.

It seems impossible anyone did this on purpose, yet it also seems impossible to make something so bad and not know you are doing it. We will probably never hear the “real” story. Did Sonos “deciders” somehow intentionally release something they knew was this bad? Did management not listen to developers or customers who must have knows how bad this is? Was it developed by some remote team of consultants who were incentivized to make something this bad?

It’s truly a big screw-up, and one that I don’t think I’ve very seen from a tech company.

I guess Sonos makes money from selling hardware, and the software is just a distasteful cost of doing business? Kind of like how the software for printers is often terrible, but in this case even worse, and a step backwards.

Userlevel 2

Absolutely no redeeming qualities- I am absolutely amazed that this update got through any quality control process - it’s completely useless - please, please address the issues immediately or run the risk of hordes flocking to other more intuitive and user friendly systems/ so disappointed 

I install a lot of Sonos systems and personally own a home full of Sonos products.  This revision of the app is completely unbearable and unintuitive.  I could easily tutor my older clients on how to use the previous version iPhone app.  Now, I’m truly very worried for them if they install this release.

Sonos, please feel free to contact me directly to explain what a hinderance you’ve created here for me and my clients.

Since the update nothing works I have a beam an 2 Sonos 1 sometimes the beam works but won’t find the 1s how can an update fuk the hardware up so completely some people should be taken out for a short walk. How could anyone recommend this bunch of idiots it’s totally frustrating. Used to work fine.

Shocking.  The latest update has rendered a houseful of speaker completely useless.  I tell everyone I know not to buy anything from this company.  The app itself - which used to at least make some sense - has been redesigned in a way that makes everything harder: searching, volume control, reaching playlists, ALL of it.  But that’s irrelevant… Because it can’t connect with the system, so I can’t play music anyway.  And god help me if I do successfully start a song, I’d better commit…  Because I won’t be able to turn the music off!

This👆My system is also now completely useless 🤬😢🤬😢🤬🤬😢🤬😢🤬

Sonos...Where is your head? and made it black too..probably for...doesnt work worth a damn. A failure

Hi all

In desperation I deleted the new app, then went into iTunes and downloaded the s1 app, no functionality but made me download the new update again.  Tried one last time to connect my move and for the first time it asked to use the microphone function to hear the chime and it connected straight away.

It may be total coincidence, but I had spent all weekend trying to connect it, so who knows.  It’s a shame about all the lost functions but at least my move isn’t a glorified Bluetooth speaker anymore.

C

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just did the update without seeing this thread first. iOS user and Sonos owner for a dozen or more years.  We have a speaker in every room. 

it's all been working like a charm using a boost and Sonos net, but after the update it's a mess.

Aside from the awful user interface that is unbelievably unintuitive my music stops playing after a track, but the app says  it's stil going. 

Had issues connecting and once it did the whole thing runs like poop.

Can we please  roll this back .  It's a mess.  Going to revert to Roon and see how I get on with that controlling the Sonos 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Under the system menu is anybody else able to see network info - I just have a black screen with the title Manage Networks

Owning Sonos might now be my biggest purchase regret. The app is so bad I can’t use the speakers any more - but I have 6 of them in the house. The app never connects to the system first time, it won’t find my library on the NAS any more and its interface with Spotify is now seriously clumsy. Once it does finally connect to the speakers it’s really unresponsive - if I  turn the volume up or down, the actual volume will suddenly blast up or down about a minute later. Music will be playing but when I go to pause it, only the play button is visible - or vise-versa. We used to love passing the iPad around when we have guests over to create party playlists on the fly, but this is now always an awkward mess where no one can use it and the songs jump and glitch constantly. It’s honestly become one of the worst things I own. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

If you want to prevent the app update from loading on your devices:

Turn off automatic updates

iOS:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-auto-update-iphone-5206079 

Android:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-on-android-5192496#toc-how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-on-an-android-phone 

(Scroll a bit further to next section titled "Stop Automatic Updates for Specific Apps") 

I now I’m going against the grain here, but I think the design overall is good.  I appreciate that if the missing items are important to you then you would feel differently (and bear in mind that most of those are coming in pending updates).

But I have always hated the old app, to me it felt bland, boring and a bit like a toy.  The new app has most things on one screen, and I’m not going to get upset about things like volume numbers and mute buttons when I know they will arrive soon.  

Again the criticisms about the bugs and missing functionality are valid ones.  The rest is subjective and if you hated the old app as much as I did, I think the new app is moving in the right direction. 

Well that might be OK, if the new app for you is “form before function”, but I have half a dozen speakers sitting around at home that can’t be addressed anymore in a way they could before.

The fact that upcoming updates may or may not fix this or other issues is barely satisfying, as everything was working with the old app, but doesn’t anymore now. If a new app isn’t able to support at least everything its predecessor did, it’s ill designed - no matter the questionably nicer interface.

Or put differently, if I buy a new car, I expect it to come with wheels, as every car did since the last 120 years, I don’t want to have to wait for an update for a basic functionality.

Does anyone know of a decent alternate app that will control Sonos. I want to be able to bin the Sonos one.  Going back to S2 would be fine, but vindictively, Sonos won’t allow that. 

I tell everyone I know not to buy anything from this company. 

Totally agree, new app is complete mess.

Making the point that better things are coming is weird unless Sonos wants people to get angry at them thus making them a topic of conversation. But if you know how to put an app out that works...geez get it right in the first place instead of smacking your public around.

Amongst other things..

- why has +/- 30 sec skip been removed from the seek bar controls?
- why does it now take two clicks to launch a radio station from the home page when previously it took one?
- why does the 'favorites' rail now default to square icons so that circular logos like BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio 2 now have ugly grey corners filling in the square?
- (and please localise 'favorites' to the UK spelling 'favourites’, ta)
- why have all my standard shows being replaced with the error messages 'no longer available. Please edit to delete it'.?
- what's with all the weird rounded lozenges. It looks and feels cluttered now.
- what's with the weird fade above the search bar?
- why is search awkwardly placed above the control panel?
- why have a slow, annoying scrolling display of the current show in a tiny space instead of just finding the room to display the whole title in one go? Not helped by plonking two icons to the right of the irritatingly slow scrolling display thay only has enough space for four words.

• why….is it so terrible?

Etc..

Copied to CEO too.

Would like to get the old app back was bad but this one’s crap. Am also probably going to eBay this lot and get Bose

I can’t get the new app to work at all.  I have a sonos in every room and have recommended and bought sonos for many friends over the last ~10 years.  But this new app is a showstopper.  I do not use voice controls and it seems that several vital functions are missing without them.  We are very frustrated and will move to another vendor soon if not corrected in the next update.

Userlevel 2

I have the new app on my ‘phone and the old one on my iPad. I only use the later. When I look at my system on the ‘phone it tells me the input to my Arc is Sonosnet but what I want to know is whether or not my TV is passing Atmos. 

I bought my Sonos system on the basis that I could keep my music library on a USB plugged in to my router. That no longer works. Just as well that I can move my music to Plex. 

This company takes its customers loyalty for granted. They should be deeply ashamed of what they have inflicted on their customers and admit their shortcomings and go back to the old app. 

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

SONOS IS A HORRIBLE SYSTEM BOTH SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE. NEED AN ALTERNATE TO THIS MISERABLE PRODUCT

Agreed I feel like content for top to bottom is not relevant.  For example asking to purchase new products that should be at the bottom va constant at the top.

Could not agree more, its so bad on so many levels, its hit and miss if the view system button appears and without out it you cant control individual speakers.  SONOS this is ridiculous, how can I down load previous version of app.  Having kitted my whole house out I cant use the speakers, I am surely entitled to a refund?