Skip to main content

Why is the new Sonos App crap?

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

268 replies

Userlevel 1

Dear Sonos-

please address the issues or at least allow us to revert to previous version.  This user experience is pretty terrible on the iOS app. Cannot add to queue or edit songs?  I’ve had it crash multiple times and although the search feature seems better, the alarms vanished!   Not a good practice to remove features that were previously staples of the experience.  If I want to hear a playlist from Apple Music & then add tracks from a different playlist it used to be no issue.  Now the only option seems to be “replace queue”.  Used to be an “add to queue” option that is not making itself visible.  Please help…going from super-fan to super-frustrated.  

thanks.

Userlevel 1

The new app absolutely unacceptable, I think Sonos needs to rethink there strategy in deciding who will be doing their coding. The new app is not user friendly. Sonos One struggling to connect, then when streaming in different rooms one cannot change to another speaker or group them. Rethinking my next purchase 😥

Userlevel 1

The old app was very bad too. Well, I should say "is" since the new one doesn't open on my phone at all. Currently I cannot use Sonos at all because after rebooting my phone and reinstalling the app, the app still doesn't open. To all the Sonos fans who seem not to want to see the problem... If the app was great then it wouldn't have such a terrible score on Google Play. I literally consider selling my Sonos speakers and switching to a different system. I'm totally disappointed with Sonos.

Userlevel 4

I've just written a lengthy email to the Sonos ceo. I wonder if he will get it. 

The ceo is Patrick Spence and his email address is ceo@sonos.com

If you have the time to post here, take a bit more time and let him know your thoughts. 

Userlevel 1

What an unmitigated disaster the new app is.  There isn’t enough time to list all of the failures and omissions.  Needless to say, you didn’t consult with users when this trash was being planned.

Take us back to the previous app.  While it didn’t have everything I would like to have, it was at least user friendly, had more useful functions and it WORKED!!

New app update just forgets my system again and again… every time I open the app the system is gone and I have to go through the search process of a new system…

This update is really really bad… sorry to say but a great idea and speaker products are just irritating when you can’t use it in an easy manner.

Userlevel 3

Update 16 May: just look at reviews on the App Store… pretty much everybody agrees there too and there are 99.9% 1 start reviews!!

It’s utterly rubbish! I get that apps need updates and not everyone’s going to like it when apps change from something that they once felt comfortable and familiar with.

But, and it’s a pretty sizable BUT, when the app’s ability to perform its basic functions are impaired and its non-functional abilities are shot to shit, then you have to wonder how this ever saw the light of day. Agree with everything above. 

Hey Sonos, pull your finger out, this is REALLY embarrassing!! 

How does the app keep getting worse and worse over time. It's too bad, I've had some of my Sonos speakers for around 10 years now. Even on a brand new phone the current app is not user friendly, missing functionality that it used to have. And removed the playlists I had. So disappointing given how great the whole experience used to be. The new update is much worse, missing basic functionality now,  So irritated. 

Agreed, I find it very difficult to navigate through the new app design. I praise my self lucky every time I succeed to play a song. 

Badge +2

Sonos fire sale selling all my units after so many years and who knows how much spent you guys really messed up…… 5 pairs of 5, 2 sound bars 3 paires of eros100  and 2 moves out of here 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Insanely bad. No words. Whoever is responsible for this needs a different career 

Made a loyal customer for over 10 years rethink the loyalty. 

App is the worst I have ever used

Stupidity no courage to release the new app. 

Indeed. It really is awful. I think I’m going to sell all my devises and switch. It’s gone from bad to worse 

Literally just got a new TV, sitting down ready to watch the footy and Wamo, old ap, updates and I loose every speaker. Spent 2 hours last night trying everything to get sound going. I'm running with 1 Beam and the rest paperweights. I'm tempted to scrap the lot and move away from Sonos after using their products for 5 years. New ap won't even load, so clearly the issue is severe. So I'm going good old trust worthy Bose shopping tomorrow. 2 hour call waiting WTF! 

Userlevel 1

OMG, the new Sonos Android mobile app update 80.00.05 is horrifying and beyond unacceptable.  The app auto updated and nothing works.  90% of my favorites do not work and the interface is unusable.    I reloaded the old app version and Sonos recently disabled it forcing you to update to the new version.  Because the new mobile app is unusable we were forced us to control our Sonos system with the Windows app.  Guessing they will also screw this one up soon.   I attempted to call technical support twice and waited for over an hour an half with no agents picking up.

I am amazed that a 1.7 billion dollar public company would inflict this kind incompetence and garbage on their dedicated users. I have been a Sonos user for for 15+ years and for the first time I am looking for Sonos alternatives on-line.

Beyond pathetic!  Patrick Spence, are you trying to lose customers?  Fix this now or allow users to use the old interface.

Been waiting on hold for an hour when I was quoted a 20 minute wait. I have a dozen speakers that are completely unusable due to the update as the system became unrecognized and now I’m stuck in a “update, sign in as owner, your not the owner” loop. 

very frustrating. 

I was told it would be 16mins on hold, I hung up after 1hr 40min…. It’s a joke, and my Roam won’t would work now !!!

Userlevel 3

I now I’m going against the grain here, but I think the design overall is good.  I appreciate that if the missing items are important to you then you would feel differently (and bear in mind that most of those are coming in pending updates).

But I have always hated the old app, to me it felt bland, boring and a bit like a toy.  The new app has most things on one screen, and I’m not going to get upset about things like volume numbers and mute buttons when I know they will arrive soon.  

Again the criticisms about the bugs and missing functionality are valid ones.  The rest is subjective and if you hated the old app as much as I did, I think the new app is moving in the right direction. 

You are joking right?  

What part of “the app no longer functions” wasn't clear.   This not an opinion its a fact that the new UI is convoluted garbage.  If this is the quality that we are all now expected to accept then Sonos is doomed.   Luckily I still have S2 on a couple devices.

How you could possibly defend this release is beyond human comprehension.

SONOS!!!! WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THAT ROLLBACK!!!!!!   PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!

I would truly love to fire every single person involved in this new app update.  I, like tens of thousands, have invested heavily in Sonos over the past 20 years.    WHAT IDIOT did this to us users? 

Why would you introduce an app like this to destroy the pleasure and ease of use?  Why wouldnt you have put out a beta test and got this thing right.  Its horrible.  No timer.  No playlists.  Hard to navigate and use.  I’m disappointed and really outraged .    I’m thinking this is the time to start selling my system piece by piece on ebay..get whatever I can for it… and try something new.  

MAD AS HELL 

Userlevel 1

Hi, everyone.  ANDROID HERE. IT WAS FRUSTRATED TO GET THE NEW UPDATE TO WORK. CUSTOMER SERVICE 105 MIN. WAIT., UNACCEPTABLE. 2DAYS TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE NEW UPDATE. SUCKS. 2AM DECIDED TO DISCONNECT ALL SYSTEM IN THE HOUSE, ROOM BY ROOM, ROOTER OFF. WENT TO BED.

NEXT DAY CONNECT ALL SYSTEM BACK.  BOOM 💥 💥  SYSTEM BACK TO NORMAL.  BUT SO MANY FEATURES ARE GONE/MISSING FOR NOW. 

TRY TO SHOT DOWN THE SYSTEM FOR 10 SEC. OR MORE AND CONNECT IT BACK. TO SEE IF WILL SOLVE SOME ISSUES THAT YOU MAY HAVE.

HOPE THIS WILL HELP OUT THERE.

Going from various systems or workplaces to home it so totally screws with each system. Missing speakers, no real way to connect and no real support. I feel this has pushed me over the edge and heading back to wired hardware with traditional approach and a streaming component that isn’t sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can I get the old app back as the new one is almost unusable?

No, you can’t get it back.  You are screwed by Sonos.  Check out BlueSound speakers.  They have great sound and an app that WORKS. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Nasdaq symbol is SONOS.  Short it on Monday.  This think will drop like a rock. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Speakers keep appearing & disappearing on my system. I try to play music in one room and it starts playing in another, its a fighting battle clicking on/off Rooms/Speaker. Trying to increase or decrease the volume is lucky dip. Adding/Subtract Rooms/Speakers to a currently playing group can take 3, 5, 8 attempts of clicking and applying. Plus the system is so slow. 

A Sonos statement said it took some Courage to release the “New” Sonos App. More like Dutch Courage! 

Either the App Design Team were drunk when they created it, or the CEO was drunk when they signed it off. Can you imagine Apple releasing a new iOS that made iPhones near unusable, then suggest it had taken some Courage to make the decision to Brick everyones device.

For a premium integrated Music/Speaker System the “App” was always the week link, now it might be the Death Nail.

Problem is I have invested heavily in the Hardware and hope I’m not left with an Albatross...

I am getting close to the point of abandoning the thousands invested in this ever worsening audio experience and going back to what I used to call a hi-fi and a radio. 

SONOS - sort it out!

Team Sonos: please start over with a new design. This is huge step backwards.  

I am another 13 year Sonos user and I’ve owned almost every speaker.  I’ve been a beta tester and have spent thousands and over the years have recommended these speakers to a dozen friends.

Forget the declining speaker quality, this new iOS app is the worst garbage in a music app ever.  No longer can you click on a song and add it to play next (like a cool jukebox) and you can’t even add it to the end of a queue.

You can’t even add a song to an existing Spotify playlist.  

Worst of all, you can’t jump to more songs by the artist or pull up the album.  Weren’t these all features that have been around in the UI for 10 years?

Without these features I have absolutely  no use for the app or their products.   Terrible.  
I may try to unload all the speakers at a garage sale.  Totally serious.  

Sonos what the hell!!!!