Answered

Why has my Calm Radio disappeared?

• 24 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

My Calm Radio stations stopped playing through the Sonos app this afternoon. They were working a few hours earlier. I thought I would delete and re-add the Calm Radio service in the app to see if this would resolve the issue,  and when I tried to add it again it had disappeared from the list of available services. I am a paid Calm customer and it is working through all other means, including the Calm Radio app and Roon. Does anyone know what's going on? [EDIT: A few minutes after I posted this a Sonos app notice  informed me “Calm Radio is experiencing a full outage” and it now appears as “down” on the Sonos status page. Oddly I am listening to Calm through Roon during this “full outage” and am having no issues playing stations through the Calm app.]

icon

Best answer by Toolio 25 October 2023, 13:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

It’s always possible that existing streams can continue, whereas new streams could be challenging. Or it could be every other connection, or something like that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

It is now listed as “up” again on the Sonos status page and the message about the service outage has disappeared from the Sonos app. Calm Radio has returned as an option to add on the Sonos services page, so I was able to re-add it. However, Calm Radio stations still are not playing through the Sonos app, at least for me. There are no stations listed for Calm in the Sonos app, just a message that says “unable to browse music”, and those that remain in my favourites won't play.

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

That is difficult. I am currently in, and using my Sonos system in, Brasil. Sometimes I'm here, sometimes I'm in Canada. If it doesn't return in a few hours I'll try a live chat.

Wouldn’t hurt, I’d think, to try a later removal and reinstall. And, frankly, a reboot of your router followed by a reboot of your Sonos system, on the off hand chance part of the fix may have been including a DNS change that didn’t get propagated properly. Could be a wild hare, but the process doesn’t hurt anything. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Wouldn’t hurt, I’d think, to try a later removal and reinstall. And, frankly, a reboot of your router followed by a reboot of your Sonos system, on the off hand chance part of the fix may have been including a DNS change that didn’t get propagated properly. Could be a wild hare, but the process doesn’t hurt anything. 

I'll try that. Thanks.

On October 24, 2023 at 8:30 p.m. Central Time I am getting a message on the Sonos app,

”This service is no longer available. Please remove it from your Sonos app.”

I will be disappointed if this is a decision rather than a glitch. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

On October 24, 2023 at 8:30 p.m. Central Time I am getting a message on the Sonos app,

”This service is no longer available. Please remove it from your Sonos app.”

I will be disappointed if this is a decision rather than a glitch. 

What does https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services show for your country and Calm?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I was finally able to reconnect with Calm Radio this morning, with some kind advice from Bruce, above, and a few other measures. This was about 18 hours after my issues started.

In the end, disconnecting all Sonos gear from power, doing an unplug-and-replug reboot of the router, then connecting Sonos gear again was key--as suggested by Bruce. I also had to reset the Sonos app on my tablet (doing the above without this step didn’t work) and reconnect it to the existing Sonos system. Before this, I was able to re-add Calm Radio, but nothing would appear to play. After these steps, the re-add of the Calm Radio service required that I log in again to my paid Calm subscription through the Calm website, which wasn’t happening before the router and Sonos system reboot. It would just reconnect but offer no stations to play.

However, this part did not go smoothly. I had to delete and re-add the Calm Radio service seven times, re-registering when taken to the Calm Radio site on a browser each time. before it finally worked. I can’t say whether this was the magic bullet, but the time it worked I deliberately let the web page sit for about two minutes after the message “you can now close your browser and return to the Sonos app” and didn’t return to the app until then. The re-add then completed on the Sonos app and the list of Calm stations finally appeared.

I hope this helps anyone else who has a similar problem in the wake of what Sonos called a total Calm Radio outage for a brief period yesterday, and my sincere thanks to Bruce (Airgetlam) for the suggestions. 

Calm Radio on my Sonos is back today.