Skip to main content
Question

Why didn't they just call the new app S3?

If SONOS would have simply called the new app S3 allowing users to switch when they wanted to NONE of this mess would have happened - NONE. If they re-released S2 as “S2 Classic” or whatever they might stand a chance of somewhat repairing this disaster.

And with SONOS’s silence all we can do is assume things and make things up - and my guess is that they knew people wouldn’t switch, eliminating their ability to take their next step in destroying the brand, users, reputation, and community by forcing us to pay them a subscription to continue to use the very expensive products we bought from them. I would NEVER buy a speaker/headphones/etc that included a subscription cost.

I’d imagine that the headphones might be a flop because no matter where a potential customer looks all they are going to find is extremely negative content (which of course was completely avoidable).

More than anything I want to go back to enjoying my SONOS products and believing in the company but time is running out. It is very sad.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Good grief, they aren’t going to charge you a subscription. Stop with the FUD!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

...by forcing us to pay them a subscription to continue to use the very expensive products we bought from them. I would NEVER buy a speaker/headphones/etc that included a subscription cost.

When you said ‘all we can do is make things up’, you weren’t joking were you?

Badge +1

I would LOVE to stop with the FUD - but with the mess of this app and the absence of information from SONOS all we can do is guess at their plans. Only SONOS can stop the FUD.

And if there is no plan to force us in to something like a subscription, then why did they force us in to this new app? There must be a reason that we the users don’t yet know about.

Badge +1

...by forcing us to pay them a subscription to continue to use the very expensive products we bought from them. I would NEVER buy a speaker/headphones/etc that included a subscription cost.

When you said ‘all we can do is make things up’, you weren’t joking were you?

Of course I wasn’t joking. It is human to make up stories in the face of uncertainty, and they are almost always negative, in particular when the info we have to go on is negative.

If SONOS would have simply called the new app S3 allowing users to switch when they wanted to NONE of this mess would have happened - NONE. If they re-released S2 as “S2 Classic” or whatever they might stand a chance of somewhat repairing this disaster.

S1/S2 was a disaster, a huge mess for Sonos and it’s customers.  S1 is a problem for Sonos as they are now supporting an OS that consumer can’t buy new products for and thus is a cost without any revenue.

And to be clear S1 and S2 are separate OS on the speaker firmware.  The new app is not a new OS firmware at all, so calling the new app S3 would likely cause a lot of confusion.

Although in hindsight, if Sonos knew that the new app was not going to be ready in time for the release of Ace, they likely would have built in Ace install and control (and whatever other features are in the new app, but not the old) into the old app and given themselves more time to get the new app ready.  But hindsight is always 20/20. 

And with SONOS’s silence all we can do is assume things and make things up - and my guess is that they knew people wouldn’t switch, eliminating their ability to take their next step in destroying the brand, users, reputation, and community by forcing us to pay them a subscription to continue to use the very expensive products we bought from them. I would NEVER buy a speaker/headphones/etc that included a subscription cost.

Sonos has not been silent.  They have responded in several posts on several platforms, but they are getting drowned out by those who feel the need to create a new post about their complaints, rather than post in existing threads, or just not post at all since it’s pretty clear that many Sonos is aware that people are upset.

I’d imagine that the headphones might be a flop because no matter where a potential customer looks all they are going to find is extremely negative content (which of course was completely avoidable).

More than anything I want to go back to enjoying my SONOS products and believing in the company but time is running out. It is very sad.

The initial articles about Sonos Ace from the usual tech sources are pretty positive.  There have not been any in depth hands on reviews yet.  There’s no doubt that negativity about the app is going to impact initial sales, and future sales to a lesser extent.  I would not be surprised if sales are not far off from the initial forecasts in the long run.  Any consumer who doesn’t already have an Arc would only be using this for bluetooth anyway, and has no need to use the Sonos app at all, as I understand it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is human to make up stories in the face of uncertainty, and they are almost always negative, in particular when the info we have to go on is negative.

I would disagree. There are a vast amount of humans on here, but very few conspiracy theories fortunately. I would ordinarily have said it is human to rationalise, but the last few weeks on this forum have proven rational thought to be in significant deficit.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If sonos had released an S3 app in this state nobody would’ve upgraded. And since the new app would be the only one to support the new headphones, nobody would’ve bought them 😂

I would LOVE to stop with the FUD - but with the mess of this app and the absence of information from SONOS all we can do is guess at their plans. Only SONOS can stop the FUD.

And if there is no plan to force us in to something like a subscription, then why did they force us in to this new app? There must be a reason that we the users don’t yet know about.

Sonos and any other companies is not going to share all the details of their business decisions with consumers as nothing good can come from that.  The general consensus from those paying attention is that Sonos built Ace to be setup through the new app (for connecting to an Arc) so delays in the app release would mean delays in the Arc and who knows what other impact to their busniess.  That’s the generally consensus because it’s a logical theory.  A WAG that Sonos is going to charge a subscription to use the products has no basis in reality.

And no one is forcing you to spread baseless rumors.  In the absence of information about a topic, you can just accept that you don’t know.

No, you can stop with the FUD.  Just stop posting stuff that’s purely made up by a fevered imagination wishing to outdo the next guy in crazy conspiracy theories which have no basis in fact.  It’s a simple concept. 

Stop thinking nefarious when the simple will do.  You were “forced” (not really) into the new app so they could release the new headphones before the end of the fiscal year.  And no, they aren’t going to spend the money and/or time to fork the code and maintain two codebases in order to let some people stay on the old app.  It’s Software Engineering 101, and a twirly moustache, Dr. Evil plot to start charging a subscription to use their app is not needed to explain Software Engineering 101.

If sonos had released an S3 app in this state nobody would’ve upgraded. And since the new app would be the only one to support the new headphones, nobody would’ve bought them 😂

Bingo!  You summed it up in two lines.

Badge +1

I guess only time will tell if the stories I am making up or if the stories you are making up are correct.

I guess only time will tell if the stories I am making up or if the stories you are making up are correct.

Nobody is making things up about the release of the headphones, and/or the app that supports them.  It’s all over the Sonos website.