Answered

Why can't I get Airplay to work?

• 18 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I want to be able to use Airplay through my Sonos system (Beam, Port, 3-One SL’s).  The Sonos app is updated on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, but when I try to access Apple Music I get a message saying that Apple Music needs to be reauthorized.  However, when I try to log in, I get a message saying that there was problem and I should try again.  I have, multiple times, but keep getting the same message. 

I’ve seen several messages in the forum, some saying that the issue was with the Sonos app but that it had been fixed.  However, I am unable to get my system to work.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 February 2024, 07:58

View original

3 replies

I’m confused. Sonos has nothing to do whatsoever with Apple Music running on your phone. Once you’re running whatever you want on your iPhone , you then send the audio via AirPlay 2 using Apple’s AirPlay 2 interface to the Sonos device. There is no ‘Sonos’ involved here. The speakers just show up as AirPlay 2 targets in Apple’s interface.

Are you having trouble with the Apple part of the Sonos software? It doesn’t use AirPlay 2 to connect to your Sonos speakers, it uses the normal Sonos method of the controller connecting to your speakers, and tells the speakers themselves to use the Apple credentials to connect to Apple’s servers, and play the content. 

If you’re having trouble logging in to Apple Music on your iPhone, you need to talk to Apple CS. If you’re instead having trouble logging in to Apple Music inside the Sonos software, we will likely need more information about how your speakers are connected to your WiFi, what specific errors you’re seeing, which OS you’re running on this iPhone, which OS you’re running on the Sonos, if you’re running any VPN software, or any firewall applications. 

Thank you for the quick response.  I have never used Airplay through my Sonos system before.  This is my first attempt.  I believe that the problem is within the Sonos app because I can access my Apple Music Library through the phone with out problem. 

Here is what is happening. I am going into the Sonos app version 16.0, OS S2, no VPN or firewall. I open the Music icon>Browse>Apple Music and then get the message saying that the Music account with my name needs to be reauthorized. Then it opens a page that says “Connect Sonis to Apple Music. I tap continue and put in my password (which I know is correct), and get the message “We’re run into a problem. Try again.”  Multiple attempts, no change in getting the message.

I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Ok, so you’re not using AirPlay 2 at all, you’re using the Sonos controller. Although I don’t know which OS is running on your iPhone. 

Have you tried removing the Apple connection from the Sonos controller completely, waiting five minutes, then setting it up again? 

For some reason, undetermined at this moment, your speakers are having difficulty reaching the Apple authorization servers. There are all sorts of possibilities there, none of them are clear yet, based on what information has been provided. I tend to dismiss DNS issues, due to the fact that the Apple Music app works on your phone. 

It could be simple wifi interference causing your speakers to not be able to reach those auth servers, or something more.

Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

One thing I’d try in the meantime is to run the Apple Music app on your iPhone, and then pull down from the upper right corner of the screen. This gives you access to the AirPlay 2 screen, and you can then select those Sonos speakers that are responding to an AirPlay 2 request. Likely not your surround speakers, but your Beam and your Port should be reporting there. That would completely skip using the Sonos system, and use AirPlay 2 from your iPhone and send the audio directly to the speakers.