Skip to main content
Question

why can't change radio stations when using the Sonos App

when i am listening to the radio and want to change to another station. The Sonos App appears to go through the motions of changing stations. the Logo of the New stations comes up.. But it is still the old station playing. The only way I have found to change radio stations is to first play some music on Spotify and then you can change to another Radio Station

Hi @PeterMaher 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of this issue you are having - it sounds annoying! I’d like to look into it for you.

What source are you playing your radio stations from? TuneIn, Sonos Radio, myTuner, or another aggregator? Have you tried playing the same stations from another aggregator? If so, do you get the same behaviour?

Please recreate the issue (without the step of playing Spotify inbetween) and immediately after, submit a support diagnostic. Don’t post the given number here, but please let me know when you have send the diagnostics.

If you are able to record the screen of your phone while you recreate the issue and upload it to YouTube or a file-sharing service and post the link here, that would be extra superlative of you! If you upload to YouTube, please remember to make the video public so I can see it. If you don’t mind, please include microphone audio and record within hearing distance of the speaker you play to.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

I'm having the same problem. Tech doesn't seem to be too concerned but it's pretty annoying when it's stuck on one station. Happened since the last update

Radio is TuneIn 

Try using Sonos Radio instead of TuneIn: it has all the same content and a built-in connection to Sonos so it’s more stable.

Hi @Shebalicious 

Sorry to hear that you’re affected by this issue too. If you follow the instructions I posted above, I’ll be happy to take a look for you.

Trying another service as suggested by @edmountain is a good idea too.

Try using Sonos Radio instead of TuneIn: it has all the same content and a built-in connection to Sonos so it’s more stable.

I'm going thru Sonos radio, but the station comes up as TuneIn. Maybe that's the problem?

I'm going thru Sonos radio, but the station comes up as TuneIn. Maybe that's the problem?

When you say “comes up as TuneIn”, do you mean that stream begins with a voiceover that says “Welcome to TuneIn”?

Or do you mean the service on the app is labelled as a TuneIn service even though you’ve accessed it through Sonos Radio?

Hi @Shebalicious 

We get our list of stations from TuneIn, so that is not entirely unexpected - I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Similar here. Last update made the simple task of choosing and listening to a station much too difficult and complicated. Sonos, It’s time to fix your user interface towards usability and simplicity.

I had to remove Tunein new as a service from sonos and re-add again.,

Within Sonos Radio I just stared the Concert Hall station then was able to switch seamlessly to the Smooth Jazz station.  Not sure if the stations you choose make a difference.  This switch test was done with the 80.x app on iPhone 15.