Skip to main content
Question

Where is my music library in the new app?

Sometimes I run the app and I find my library under the sonos favorites. Sometimes it just isn’t there. Is there a place I can go to always find it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I think you have to wait a few weeks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

LOL

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@nik9669a this particular issue is not on the “known issues” list you linked to. Perhaps this is a less common bug. I know the local library is severely crippled, and in june it might get fixed. And I know some people can’t find the library where it now sits on the screen. But the issue of it showing up some times and not others is not something I’ve heard reported before. Maybe it’s a bug, or a new bug?

The new app is worse than useless. Sonos broke functionality and made everything non-intuitive. I use o ly my music library, so now I have a handful of enormous and expensive paperweights. Last Sonos product I EVER purchase, and no more recommendations. What were they thinking?? 

Userlevel 1

Agreed.  My main music library, my primary use for these products, has fallen off the app with no way to add it back in.  Sonos’ help page says to do it from the desktop app, but that doesn’t work (and says to use the mobile app). I’m not just astonished they launched this half-baked app, but more importantly this has made me realize how I’m at Sonos’ mercy for maintaining the features I rely on, and they don’t seem to care.

I don’t even have confidence that shared music libraries will continue to be supported. They sent an email recently stating that libraries would at least have to be moved to a NAS, rather than a shared folder on your computer.

I just can’t get past that after I’ve invested a lot of money in their products they change them on me, without my consent or a practical way to opt out. They did tell us a new app was coming, but I for one had no idea how different (and broken) it would be. 
I won’t recommend Sonos anymore either. I used to think these were just the greatest products, but the company’s strategy for maintaining the user experience is appalling. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The new app is worse than useless. Sonos broke functionality and made everything non-intuitive. I use o ly my music library, so now I have a handful of enormous and expensive paperweights. Last Sonos product I EVER purchase, and no more recommendations. What were they thinking?? 

It is so disappointing when someone joins this community only to spew negativity and not to offer any assistance to people who are asking for help. @EnragedUser, who joined today May 29th 2024, seems to have done what many others have done: Jump on the negative, Sonos-bashing Bandwagon.

We ALL know the app was a bad move and many users have issues, but it would be better if you created your own post to rant and not jump on someone else's post who is looking for answers.

@robokitty, make sure your local library is using SMB v2 and not SMB v1, because Sonos as well as other manufactures, have dropped  support for that protocol. I have a Synology NAS and I updated to SMB v2 as soon as Sonos allowed it to be used.

If you have a device with the old app on it, like a PC, Mac or phone, you can use that to edit your library. I never lost connection to my library, just the queueing is gone for now. But I create  a que on my Mac, then restart the app. All the changes show up once the app refreshes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Yes, of course I too updated to SMB2 on my Synology. I think the “old” app (not the legacy one, but the one formerly known as “new) required SMB2, or at least allowed you to use it. In any case Synology really wanted me to update that, and I did quite a while ago. SMB 1 has nothing to do with any issues I’ve had. But thanks for the tip!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

And, yes, the desktop controller can still be used to play music. It is much less convenient than using the mobile app (back when it worked), but it does make it possible to play music. I just need to go to another room, fire up the computer that tends to be off, and play my music from there.

And, yes, the desktop controller can still be used to play music. It is much less convenient than using the mobile app (back when it worked), but it does make it possible to play music. I just need to go to another room, fire up the computer that tends to be off, and play my music from there.

If you restart the mobile controller, access is usually restored from there also.  I have full access to my NAs housed library from all controllers, I just can’t add or reindex on the mobile.

Userlevel 1

Desktop music player does not work for me, either to play music or manage my music library.  To make matters worse, since the update my main library got dropped, and I cannot add it back in from any device or version of the app. 

Dear SONOS, thank you for completely ruining my listening experience. When I first purchased my system 9 years ago, I was very excited about the sound quality and the ability to play music throughout the house with the app. Then a short while later, I was suddenly required to create an account in order to listen to the speakers that I OWN. Then a few years later, I was required to update the desktop app and completely re-import my music library. All this was tedious and aggravating but I got over it with just a lingering loathing for the company. Now you’ve updated the mobile app with a half-baked beta version that didn’t even have a volume control...I noticed that there now is a volume control, but not for streaming media. My only option there seems to be to stop playback and then sit through 3 minutes of ads when starting up again. Then there’s my personal music library. I couldn’t find it in the app so I looked on the desktop to see if an update was needed. What do I find, but that my music library folder has disappeared from the app. I have added the folder back and tried several times to import/update my library but nothing has worked. It doesn’t even appear to be trying to update. We’re having a party this weekend and now I won’t be able to play music on the patio. Seriously, you should really consider hiring some competent UX people!

Rest assured, I will never buy another SONOS product or recommend them to anyone I know!

Desktop music player does not work for me, either to play music or manage my music library.  To make matters worse, since the update my main library got dropped, and I cannot add it back in from any device or version of the app. 

You are probably using SMB v1 for a share.  You need to get your shares on SMB v2 or v3.  See this thread for a couple ideas:

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can always play my music from the Web App and the Desktop App.  It’s the ios App that is problematic and needs to be reset constantly to revive the share with my NAS.  Whenever leaving WiFi range, it always has an issue reconnecting and so I’ve pretty much given up using the ios App, other than to try it on occasion to see if there have been any updates.