what do you have to type on the music library set up screen to find your usb stick in a router

Badge +1

So i have been reading threads on plusnet and here.   With sonos removing the ability to play music from my tablet with the app on it, i thought i would try out using a USB in the back of the router as a basic NAS

So i have gone to library / add new share screen,  input some info, it then goes away and comes back, nothing added,  so its not finding the path, the three lines i tried are below  but is the  slash  / or \  (As sonos preinput)

//pnhub2/usb1

smbclient //pnhub2/usb1 -U GUEST -I 192.168.1.254

(Blank)

The other factor is I'm using a usb splitter.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

What kind of USB ‘splitter’? Do you mean a USB hub?

Is the USB drive showing in the router settings as having been mounted? You could well find on the same settings page the address you should use for the share. 

Badge +1

Hi

So i suppose its a hub one wire to connect it to the router and 4 ports to insert usbs

I can see the usb on my computer i mapped ut to s drive

If you’ve managed to map the share to the S: drive on your computer you must be able to see the share name. It’ll be something like //pnhub2/usb1 (or the same with \ instead). Either should work in setting up the share in the Sonos library using the Sonos app.

You can’t use the S: mapping. It has to be the full network path, as above. 

What’s using the other ports on the USB hub? And have you tried inserting the USB drive directly into the router, without the hub?

Badge +1

Thanks i will try that again in the morning, i think it said 1.  

There was  a Tado device already in the hubs usb , hence tge splitter

I haven’t noticed anything to indicate that the known issue in the thread linked below has been resolved.  I think I would want to make sure it has been before I spent much time troubleshooting your problem.

I suspect that thread might have something to do with a known problem with SMB2 (possibly SMB3) and larger music collections. With SMB2 Sonos appears to get ingestion when a larger share is thrown at it. Smaller shares can be removed and re-added without problem. This at least has been my experience with a Netgear router running FreshTomato. 

A workaround is evidently to constrain the router to SMB1 only (assuming this is possible) while the indexing proceeds, then switch it back to SMB2 afterwards. I haven’t tested this though, as I’m not willing to upset the applecart.

In passing one should note that many routers still only support SMB1 anyway.

Badge +1

afternoon all, so thanks for your thought, I'm thinking i buy a wd whilst they’re on offer

Part#: WDBVXC0030HWT-EESN

My Cloud Home

from WD

3TB is far more than i need , even to back up the computer but i suppose i can let others i know use it as back up etc     …

Sonos obviously want to sell streaming but why shouldn't i listen to the CDs i have already got digital!!.

rant over!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

so in windows explorer I can see the usb and it says this “usb1 (\\192.168.1.254) (S)” 

no other file path is obvious from properties or mouse options  its ntfs.

so i am guessing that 

\\pnhub2\usb1\

smbclient\\pnhub2\usb1-U GUEST -I 192.168.1.254

? space after client?     does it need the “l” after the - ?

this is right for the path and the username, with the password still blank. ( i have tried with the router admin and WIFI passwords - no different response)

the app doesn't help much as i press enter and it goes away says connecting but a few seconds later just comes back either with a blank input screen or what i typed above and no helpful message to say why its not working

Try: \\192.168.1.254\usb1

Leave user/password blank. 

Badge +1

Thanks that set it up as a linked network point  but its only showing on the library not in the screen where you select the music to play

So, to confirm, the share has now been added to the library okay, but when you go to Browse>Music Library>Songs it’s empty?

Were there any error messages? 

If you go Browse>Music Library>Folders and drill down are there no files showing anywhere?

Badge +1

Noop, its now appeared, maybe i needed to relaod the app

Thanks

It seems like you're trying to set up a USB drive connected to your router as a basic NAS for your Sonos system. The slashes you use in the paths depend on the protocol you're using. If you're using the SMB protocol, which is common for network file sharing, you should use forward slashes (/). Double-check the USB splitter to ensure it's not causing any connection issues. If the paths you provided aren't working, you might want to confirm that the USB drive is correctly connected and accessible on your network.