very intermittent connection

• 26 November 2023
  • 7 replies

This has been happening for months. I’ve spoken to somebody from Sonos in the Philippines, and it was not satisfactory at all.
my problem is that sometimes I am able to connect to my Sonos with my Sonos S2, and other times it will not connect. it is extremely intermittent. And I refused to unplug the router, the speakers, etc. again, and again. Need help on correcting this problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Tell us about your network, and how the Sonos devices are connected.

Also tell us about your mobile, and whether you use a VPN.

I have a iPhone 13...software up to date. Sonos S2 controller. Play 1 & 5 speakers are connected to Spectrum WIFI...new 6 months ago. Don’t have VPN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d try setting static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos. Router’s DHCP settings page.

Powering down the Sonos then rebooting the router and powering them back up ONCE will get all assigned the stable addresses.

This may not be your issue but doing this takes a common and frustrating fault off the table for further troubleshooting.

After that search the forums for your Spectrum router, I’ve seen it mentioned a few times.

Thanks very much. I’m not at all tech savvy, So your first suggestion is way off the table. As far as rebooting the router, etc. I feel like I’ve done it at nausea and I won’t do it anymore. Your technicians have to come up with something that solves this problem. I’ve been looking at upgrading all of my speakers, but I am very very hesitant at this point if this intermittent “breakdown” keeps occurring. No, I decided I am not upgrading.

I just powered up my Sonos. It’s Monday morning at 8:45. It works. Eureka! Yesterday I tried at several times and it wouldn’t power up. This is what I get daily. I’m asking you what is it that can possibly cause intermittent outages? And importantly, is there a way for you to do a diagnostics on my system? Thanks for your continued help.

Note that @Stanley_4 doesn’t work for Sonos. He doesn’t have any technicians. At least at Sonos, I don’t  know what he does in his private life. 

The fact that it is now working is an indication that @Stanley_4 first suggestion was likely correct. Your router failed in its first attempt to hand the Sonos unused IP addresses, but when their lease was expired, the Sonos received new IPs. 

The permanent solution is reserved IP addresses. A potentially temporary solution is to unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot the errant router, forcing it a fresh load of its software. Give it a couple of minutes to boot back up, then power back on the Sonos devices, which will request new IP addresses from the refreshed table in the router. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Retired, (not from Sonos) and lost all my minions.

Spouse is not pleased with “twice as much husband, half as much money” so let us not get her thinking I need another real job please!

Static/reserved IP addresses are usually just a few clicks on your router’s DHCP settings page and almost always end the power up/down cycle.