Answered

Variation of Update Error

• 25 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, all.

I will occasionally get a prompt to update the Sonos controller on my (Windows) desktop app. (Sometimes I will simply navigate to Check for Software Updates, too, as a good habit.) Either way, when I do, I get an error message that the process failed … but when I try again, I get a reassurance that “No Update Required,” and my “Sonos system is up to date.” Well, that’s great. But then what was the error message all about?

This has been going on for years, but I can’t tell where to look in the menus to determine if I really am running the latest, best version of the controller/software. Several of the online community threads brush close to this issue but never really address it squarely. Thus this post.

Yes, I have tried restarting the computer. Yes, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Yes, I have reset the controller with my speakers. Yes, I have tried rebooting the router. And, no, there is nothing wrong with my wireless connection.

(I just thought I’d save folks the trouble of giving the usual feedback!)

Tom

Ps. I have attached other system info, if it will help!

Moderator edit: removed identifying details from picture

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 February 2024, 01:43

View original

3 replies

I sometimes see this issue too, I suspect it’s because that particular PC/MAC controller App rarely receives any major updates/new features and has been in ‘maintenance mode’ for quite a while now.

Despite the error post-update, I usually hit the ‘not now’ button when asked to try the controller update again and (as mentioned) it then turns out the update has taken place and was in fact successful.

I suspect this controller is perhaps lacking a little love, because the Android and iOS controller Apps are probably now leading the way with the majority of Sonos users, but maybe Sonos will perhaps address this one day.🤞

There was speculation in another thread that the error was caused by a delay in the speakers reporting a completion in the time allocated, but then fishing their update process later, si that when you run a second query, they’ve updated properly, and responded (this time) with the new information.

I’ve no idea if this is the case, but it does make sense, as I experience this issue fairly frequently. Many have suggested allowing the automated process to auto-update the speakers will obviate the problem, but I too am an inveterate update checker…so I have my auto process turned off, so I get the satisfaction of doing it myself. 

Hey, thank you both!

I did find that other thread after I posted, so maybe that’s it. Anyway, I appreciate the quick answers!

Tom