Answered

Using SONOS speakers in 2 homes

• 29 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi there

I have SONOS set up in our main home with access to Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music.

I understand that in the network in our holiday home, I need a different account. However, if that 2nd account is with a different email address, I am unable to connect the Apple and Amazon streaming services since they are linked to my main account.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to work this out?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 July 2023, 13:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Just use the same information at both your main home and holiday home…

Setup the WiFi to broadcast the same SSID’s/credentials at both locations (so the holiday home WiFi mirrors your home WiFi). Take one (home-based) speaker with you to the holiday home and open the Sonos App on the local network to see that transferred speaker.

Next connect the holiday home speakers to that system (from their factory state) and operate the system as you would at home… then bring the single transferred speaker back home when you return.

Use the one controller to control both homes - it will find/switch speakers when you switch the mobile device connection to the local WiFi router.

Just to add there are a variety of different ways to achieve the above outcome and have the same ‘extended’ Sonos system at both locations. They can even be setup on different WiFi SSID’s, but the above is perhaps the simplest method to follow and use.

Badge

Hi Ken - thanks so much for your answer.

Unfortunately, I've no idea what SSID is.

Both networks exist already. One is in my name / location. The other is in my partners name / location.

I just want to use my Apple and Amazon services in both.

The WiFi SSID is just the name that your WiFi broadcasts - its the signal identifier which you connect your wireless network devices to (together with a password).

You just log onto the local router at the Holiday Home, either using a web browser (or an App in some cases) and change the WiFi SSID name/password - so that the two WiFi signals are then same at both locations - once you do that, the Sonos Home speakers will work at either your Home, or Holiday Home and you can use the same Sonos controllers at both and add further speakers to each system at either location.

All will work with Amazon/Apple services at either place… think of it as one big extended system setup across two independent locations.

So that’s the easy way to get around your issue of having your Amazon/Apple services work at both locations.

Badge

I'm still unsure, though I can see from the app that I can change the settings.

I just hope it works.

Thank you.

Just ensure you have a Sonos speaker with you from your Home when you decide to change the Holiday Home WiFi SSID, as that will be your starting point to add the (reset) holiday home speakers to that system… of course any ‘other’ holiday home wireless network devices will need to be switched to the new SSID/credentials too. Also note that the SSID name and password are cAsE sEnSitiVe.

Badge

Clearly I'm the dunce in the pack here.

Thanks for your support - appreciated. Since someone lives in the holiday home full time (PC based, whilst the main home is Apple), it would mean changing the network entirely for that person and their apps / network drive music.

I'll give it some thought. Probably streaming directly from Apple / Amazon music over AirPlay to the SONOS Move is the quick and easier option.

There’s another option … I was initially trying to keep things simple for you. However…

You can add a second WiFi network to your Home Sonos system, So just add the second holiday Wifi network (SSID and credentials) to all your Home products via ‘Settings/System/Networks/Manage Networks/Update Networks’ …and then take say a Sonos Roam, or Move, portable speaker to your holiday home and use that ‘transferred’ device on the Holiday Home WiFi, with your current Sonos App, to setup the rest of your Sonos system - again it’s all one system that is spread across two different WiFi networks.  That way you can leave the holiday home WiFi untouched. See attached screenshot and below support link.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Ideally you need to create the holiday WiFi signal when at home using say a mobile hotspot with the same credentials and add the network to your current system. It’s slightly more complex but still easy to do.

Hope that helps you to get things sorted.