Answered

Using an Android phone for a music library

• 23 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m interested in using an old spare Android phone for a Sonos music library (currently using a MacBook which may or may not be off at any one particular moment). The phone doesn’t have a SIM card but it does have a high-capacity SD card and honestly it would make a great remote paired with a Sonos system. But I’m caught up in the details. 

I have assigned a static IP to the phone and in the Sonos library configuration, I give the path to the highest-level music folder:

\\192.168.1.156\Users\username\Music\local\

Sonos asks for the user/pass, which is provided, and then says the computer “192.1681.156” refused to let Sonos connect to it. User/pass is correct. 

Some guesses: I need to open a port? I need to allow Sonos to connect to the Android? I need to set this up from the Sonos app on the Android? (same result)

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 December 2022, 22:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You’re going about this the wrong way - it’s not a shared SMB or http accessible library like a PC or NAS box - you perhaps should follow the instructions in this link instead to play music from an Android mobile controller device…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/play-music-stored-on-your-android-device

Unfortunately, you can’t set up a mobile device as an NAS (permanent user library), as Sonos will recognize that the device can (might) leave the network at any time. None of the music stored on this device will be able to be “saved” as part of a Sonos playlist. 

Because it’s not an NAS, you can’t give it that path, the device is responding as a phone, not as an NAS. You could conceivably just “play from this device”, but it won’t work doing what you’re doing now, as far as I’m aware. 

I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but there will be limitations.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok thanks. 

I’ve been contemplating a NAS for years and now might be the time to commit. @Ken_Griffiths yes I did note that link and have seen the option in the app, and it works fine, but it’s not quite the architecture I want. 

Thanks again.

Ok thanks. 

I’ve been contemplating a NAS for years and now might be the time to commit. @Ken_Griffiths yes I did note that link and have seen the option in the app, and it works fine, but it’s not quite the architecture I want. 

Thanks again.

Yes, a NAS box is certainly the best way forward to achieve having your music library available whenever needed. I don’t personally like leaving a computer/laptop running either.