Skip to main content

"Upgraded" App - still a lot of bugs... any fixes?

When the “upgraded” app was released, as you all know - it was a major debacle.  I tried to give Sonos some time, figuring the Product Team rushed the developers & project team, just so they could start selling the headphones.  However, it’s been several weeks, and there are still major bugs.  I’ve spent multiple hours reading things on the Community site (since it’s impossible to get through to Tech Support, and that seems like a lost cause anyway)… and found workaround to some issues, but I’d like to list others I haven’t found a solution for, in case anyone knows of a fix.  (Why we have to spend this much time figuring out workarounds for something that used to work just fine is beyond me...) 

I’ve read the various links (ex.https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates) posted about “planned upgrades” (i.e. restoring previous functionality) and bug fixes, but don’t see anything in the near future about these items.  I’ve restarted my system, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, restarted my phone, etc.  All no dice. 

I’m a software developer of 20 years, and have led multiple large projects myself, so am fairly logical/analytical - and open to troubleshooting with anyone technical (more than tier 1 support who will ask me to restart).  So, here goes…

1. Whenever I pull up the app, it takes anywhere from 30-120 seconds to actually load the icons on my home screen (ex. my music services, recently played).  Sometimes it never loads things, and the little gray boxes just keep “flowing/spinning” and I have to exit and re-enter, and wait again.  Will this ever be fixed?
  2. Music Library keeps disappearing.  This is the main source of music for me, as I only occasionally use streaming services.  I found a workaround to go into the Windows desktop app and reload it, so that it reappears in my Android app, but this is beyond frustrating. 
  3. My Sonos playlists (which I’ve curated for 10+ years) are all gone.  (Supposedly they’re still there, but we have to use a third-party app, or the Sonos Windows app to get to them.)  Will we ever get access to our old Sonos playlists again on the Android app? 
  4. Unable to view or edit queue:  At first I could not edit any queues.  Then, they pushed an update, and I could occasionally update them.  However, I had to go into a playlist on my NAS drive, wait for it to stop “loading”, and hope the “Add to Queue” or “Replace Queue” options came up (which they did not always… sometimes I only got the option to add to home screen).  However, after the most recent app update, I just get an error when going into the queue:  “Unable to load.  Please try again.”.  Will we ever be able to modify queues again through the Android app?  (It looks like I can do so in the Windows app, but I’d rather not have to go turn on my laptop when I want to add a few songs or combine some playlists.) 
  5. “Edit Home” doesn’t work.  It saves my changes while I have the app open, but as soon as I exit and re-enter, everything is back to the original state.  This is especially frustrating when it removes my Music Library, which my main source of music. 
  6. Every few days, I wake up and find 1 or more speakers are muted.  (I only notice because of the green light on the speaker itself.)  It’s very random, and happens to different speakers.  This is very minor compared to everything else, but thought I’d let someone know. 

If anyone knows how to fix these things, or knows of a planned bug fix release coming up, I’d greatly appreciate it. 

Details of my system: 

Sonos:  Connect, ConnectAmp, Play3, Stereo Pair of Play1s, Era100, Move, RoamSL, 3 Sonos1 or Sonos1SL

App: Android (Google Pixel 3).  Latest OS & Sonos App. 

I’ve also had to download the Windows desktop app, just to get some features working again. 

I have a WD MyCloud Drive (i.e. NAS drive) with 8,000+ song files, which is my primary source of music.  I occasionally use a few free streaming services as well (Sonos, TuneIn, Calm Radio, etc.) 

13 replies

The way to fix all these issues is to delete the 80.x app and download 16.1 from apkMirror or similar and install it on your Android device. Turn off updates in the AppStore and system updates in 16.1. 

1. Your app will load quicker 
  2. Your music library will be there. 
  3. Playlists will be available 
  4. Full queue functionality and no missing features 
  5.  No volume issues.

**Double check you have the auto updates off for the app and system. 

You can read technical details about what’s going on and why reverting the app generally works for most here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-happened-sonos-app-technical-analysis-andy-pennell-wigwc

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Bumper - Thanks for the info and the link to that technical article.  That’s very helpful. 

I had thought about trying to revert the app with an older APK, but was hoping that SONOS would eventually fix these issues.  I did try apkMirror v16.1 for my phone (and turned off app & system updates), but every time I open the app and attempt to access a speaker, it tells me I need to update the app.  Even when I try to click “done” and cancel out… it won’t let me do anything.  It’s like Sonos built in a “must be on latest app” switch, or else nothing works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I had thought about trying to revert the app with an older APK, but was hoping that SONOS would eventually fix these issues.  I did try apkMirror v16.1 for my phone (and turned off app & system updates), but every time I open the app and attempt to access a speaker, it tells me I need to update the app.  Even when I try to click “done” and cancel out… it won’t let me do anything.  It’s like Sonos built in a “must be on latest app” switch, or else nothing works. 

Hi @MusicEvokesEmotion, here’s the skinny on the v16.1 Android app …

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MusicEvokesEmotion, here’s the skinny on the v16.1 Android app …

@press250 - Ahhhh, okay.  Well that friggin’ sucks.  Sonos royally mucks up the app, realizes the tech savvy users are just reverting to a working version until it’s stable again, and then pushes a firmware update to block those users from reverting to a working app.  (“If some of us are miserable… then everyone must be miserable...”)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is anyone able to even open the “new” app anymore?  Two days ago I tried using it, and it would occasionally crash.  Yesterday, I found that I couldn’t even open it anymore… just gives me the “Sonos keeps stopping” error and offers “info” or “close app” options.  That’s what prompted me to try the old version, but that’s not working either.  So, at this point, I have to go turn on my laptop to do anything with Sonos. 

Are there any decent alternate apps out there?  I don’t need anything that fancy… control speakers, select music or playlist from my own library, control volume, play/pause, etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is anyone able to even open the “new” app anymore?  Two days ago I tried using it, and it would occasionally crash.  Yesterday, I found that I couldn’t even open it anymore… just gives me the “Sonos keeps stopping” error and offers “info” or “close app” options.  That’s what prompted me to try the old version, but that’s not working either.  So, at this point, I have to go turn on my laptop to do anything with Sonos. 

Hi @MusicEvokesEmotion, and here is the ‘splainer for the new Android app snafu …

… above includes a lame workaround, fwiw.

If you’ve got an iOS or iPadOS device, check out the great SonoPhone and SonoPad apps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Are there any decent alternate apps out there?  I don’t need anything that fancy… control speakers, select music or playlist from my own library, control volume, play/pause, etc. 

Have a look at this post:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MusicEvokesEmotion, and here is the ‘splainer for the new Android app snafu …

… above includes a lame workaround, fwiw.

If you’ve got an iOS or iPadOS device, check out the great SonoPhone and SonoPad apps.

EDIT:  My bad… I was mixing up articles…I still agree that I don’t like that workaround, because I pretty much only use my local music library.  I’m kinda pissed because I F\finally got the music library re-added via Windows app last week, could still use Android app to play library... and now they push a firmware update and break the entire Android app altogether. 

Unfortunately, I have an Android, which doesn't have those 2 apps available. Thanks though.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have a look at this post:

I checked this out, but since I can’t get my Android app working and still use my music library, it’s a moot point to attempt to troubleshoot the app lag.  FWIW, I have an Eero mesh system, and don’t have the options they suggested I turn off. It already has thread enabled, which seems to be similar to what they’re saying you need.  Additionally, I have an entire Samsung Smart Things Smart Home setup… and those pieces are all talking to each other just fine.  Thanks for the info though. 

I also have Sonos connected to my Eero mesh network, and can get different system configs depending on where I am in the house.  I have also tried thread enabled, but the app still cannot present the same system settings, music selection or speaker info everywhere in my home.  We also have a Boost integrated, which was supposed to fix these issues, but the app continues to frustrate.  We’ve tried all forms of resets, forget networks, remove components and add them back, etc., but continue to get inconsistent results.  and we get this same type of behavior from multiple devices: iphone15, iphone12, ipad, Mac.  Has anyone had consistent luck with Sonos and Eero mesh networks?  I’ll try anything at this point, I’ve invested too much money in Sonos to dump it now

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I also have Sonos connected to my Eero mesh network, and can get different system configs depending on where I am in the house.  I have also tried thread enabled, but the app still cannot present the same system settings, music selection or speaker info everywhere in my home.  We also have a Boost integrated, which was supposed to fix these issues, but the app continues to frustrate.  We’ve tried all forms of resets, forget networks, remove components and add them back, etc., but continue to get inconsistent results.  and we get this same type of behavior from multiple devices: iphone15, iphone12, ipad, Mac.  Has anyone had consistent luck with Sonos and Eero mesh networks?  I’ll try anything at this point, I’ve invested too much money in Sonos to dump it now

Try removing the Boost and connect to your WIFI only. It has been depreciated and many users have found they have a more stable connection without it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You might be better off without the Boost as I seem to recall the new app does not play nicely with a Boost (which may be being phased out?). Your Eero mesh should negate the need for a Boost anyway.

I don’t have an Eero mesh but a TP-Link Deco mesh - same principle.

My first node is connected to the router by Ethernet. The router handles DHCP/IP address allocation, with wifi OFF. The mesh is operating in AP mode, not router mode, with wifi ON. No DHCP or NAT on the mesh, only on the router. It works perfectly with Sonos, with multiple speakers connecting across the three mesh nodes on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz as it sees fit. 
I have also given each node a fixed IP address. Just a personal preference, but it works…

My DNS is Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).
Maybe this info might help you?

I also have Sonos connected to my Eero mesh network, and can get different system configs depending on where I am in the house.  I have also tried thread enabled, but the app still cannot present the same system settings, music selection or speaker info everywhere in my home.  We also have a Boost integrated, which was supposed to fix these issues, but the app continues to frustrate.  We’ve tried all forms of resets, forget networks, remove components and add them back, etc., but continue to get inconsistent results.  and we get thi same type of behavor from multiple devices: iphone15, iphone12, ipad, Mac.  Has anyone had consistent luck with Sonos and Eero mesh networks?  I’ll try anything at this point, I’ve invested too much money in Sonos to dump it now

You might be better off without the Boost as I seem to recall the new app does not play nicely with a Boost (which may be being phased out?). Your Eero mesh should negate the need for a Boost anyway.

I don’t have an Eero mesh but a TP-Link Deco mesh - same principle.

My first node is connected to the router by Ethernet. The router handles DHCP/IP address allocation, with wifi OFF. The mesh is operating in AP mode, not router mode, with wifi ON. No DHCP or NAT on the mesh, only on the router. It works perfectly with Sonos, with multiple speakers connecting across the three mesh nodes on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz as it sees fit. 
I have also given each node a fixed IP address. Just a personal preference, but it works…

My DNS is Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).
Maybe this info might help you?

Definitely, thanks for the Boost suggestion. thanks for the feedback, Ill give it a try