"Updating music library" taking forever, mostly hangs.

• 18 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I am on MacOS Catalina, and successfully changed my disk access settings per another thread, so that the below have full disk access:

SonosLibraryServer
Sonos

I indexed successfully a few times after that after adding a few albums, but today going to update the library again after only adding 1 or two albums, the Sonos desktop app hangs forever, spinning wheel, and then I have to force quit it. I let it try for over an hour this time.

I have a large library: 43766 items, 688.58GB, but the support page says: "Depending on the size of your library, the music index may take several minutes to update."

Have I exceeded the size that puts me into the “several minutes” category and bumps me to the “several hours” or “several hours and then will crash” territory? :)

Again, I have updated the library recently a few times and this does not happen. (granted it takes way longer than “several minutes.”)

Not sure if a diagnostic code reveals anything library related, but here it is anyway: 269838512.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The diagnostic should include the info needed to let you know what is happening.

Not a lot you can tell yourself as Sonos decided to hide the needed data from our access.

The node which actually performs the indexing is the Associated Product in the DCR’s Help/About. If it’s on a tenuous wireless connection it will affect the index scan time, potentially significantly.

I have a large library: 43766 items, 688.58GB, but the support page says: "Depending on the size of your library, the music index may take several minutes to update."

Have I exceeded the size….

There’s a hard limit of 65k tracks, but the folder/file and tag info that’s used can also break the system. I only have about 38k tracks, but have already reached the system limits due to the amount of store in use.

As has been mentioned, only Sonos can tell you this, as they removed the facility for users to check it some while ago. I would take what support tell you with a pinch of salt, as not all support people are as well trained as others - so if what they tell you doesn’t make sense, then challenge it.