Skip to main content

Updated Sonos App... What a Fail!

• 17 May 2024
  • 0 replies

Apologies if this appears as me adding more of the same to this thread, but I feel I that need to as Sonos’ latest app update has ruined something that has been working for me for years. Maybe an increasing number of people posting here will help encourage Sonos to fix the diabolical situation they have created – and quickly.

The number of gripes I have with latest update to the app, either on my Samsung phone or Samsung tablet, continues to grow by the day…. So - in no particular order:

1. Most times I open the app I am confronted with the message ‘No Products Found’ and inviting me to go to ‘System Setting’ – even if music is already playing! This greeting may stay on the screen for just a few seconds or indefinitely, but generally seems to be approx. 10seconds. This delay means the app is nowhere near as interactive as it needs to be. It’s quite frustrating.
  1. The volume sliders are jerky, indistinct and unresponsive making it very difficult to adjust the volume of devices in individual rooms.
  1. There is no way to directly mute a device, other than trying to slide the volume slider all the way to zero. Previously there was a box to the left of the volume slider that would mute/un-mute a particular speaker. If you have a group of speakers playing the same music, sometimes you need to just mute the one device (room), eg to take a phone call.
  1. The app will create queue of tracks to play, but it’s no longer possible to add tracks to the playlist. I like to pick tracks from multiple albums and curate my own playlist according to my mood. But sadly, no more.
  1. I have a large number of albums stored on a NAS drive sat somewhere on my network. Now it no longer appears anywhere on the app for me to search or browse, or to curate my own playlist.
  1. The app no longer shows the percentage charge remaining on my Sonos Roam. When charging the Roam the app displays a lightning bolt to indicate charging, but leaves me with no idea as to how long to go. I now need to rely on the light on Roam changing to indicate full charge. Likewise, when the Roam is playing, I’ve got no idea how much charge is left until it stops working….
  1. The frequent appearance of the most unhelpful error message: “Something Went Wrong”. I’ve got my own views as to what has “gone wrong”……
  1. Finally (for now!), what about having the capability to play music files stored on the local device? I’ve never understood why that was not at least an option available for those who wanted to use it.

I’ve been using Sonos products (six in total) and the previous version of the app for a couple of years without problem, and under the previous app all the above issues just didn’t exist. I’m sure I’ll find other little ‘quirks’ over the coming days weeks. And I’ve seen Sonos’ proposed plan for rolling out features, but seeing/hearing is believing.

Well done Sonos, if you really wanted to annoy your customer base you’ve certainly achieved that.

Of course – we’ve all spent our money on Sonos products, so maybe Sonos doesn’t care. But they really should care that potential customers might be reading this forum, and might now be thinking of spending their money elsewhere. And who could blame them?

Anyway – thanks Sonos for the opportunity, but I didn’t really want to be an unpaid beta-tester for you. And you didn’t even have the courtesy to ask first!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.