Answered

Unwanted sonos control outside wifi

• 20 May 2023
  • 3 replies

My bf and I have separate homes each with a Sonos system.

Sometimes when he’s at his place he mistakenly plays his spotify on my sonos (we’re not sharing wifi… so i guess the only connection is via his phone network).

How is this possible ?

And more importantly how can I stop it…

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 May 2023, 12:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

To stop a Spotify Connect connection to your Sonos, play any other streaming company’s stream. However, once he gets back into your Wi-Fi range, he’ll be able to re-initiate the Spotify Connect system. 

In the case of the Spotify App playing through a SONOS system, Spotify is working through its cloud to control the local SONOS system. When the phone/pad is taken to a new location the cloud/SONOS system connection is retained. While I view this as a fault, someone thinks this is a feature. The Spotify cloud is very aware that the phone/pad has moved out of direct listening range. Perhaps someone thought it would be a nice feature to be able to change music for the cat or a burglar while at work. A more legitimate reason would be the ability to start play from the car before entering the house.

I just choose to play something else to the speaker, thus replacing the Spotify API connection as mentioned by Bruce  - it’s also possible to go to the ‘now playing’ screen in the App and ‘end the session’. See screenshot.

I’m not sure why such sessions do not auto-expire after a set period of inactivity, but maybe there is some technical reason why that doesn’t happen.