Skip to main content
Question

Unresponsive Controller

• 1 July 2024
  • 5 replies

The new controller is extremely (to be nice) unresponsive or at time just not functional. You have to pause the music dozens of times to turn the music off. The volume will just change with our anyone commanding it to go up or down. Speakers are just randomly dropping off the entire network causing me to to factory resets to attempt to get them re-connected, with minimal results. For the price of the devices their new controller and interface are subpair. Has anyone found a fix to this? Or is it time to move on to a new branded product? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @slodge 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you are having with the Sonos app. We are working hard to improve things, though certainly not all users are seeing such issues, so lets see what we can do about them.

Please don’t factory reset any more devices - it doesn’t help, and it just creates more work for you. If you suspect a unit has gone offline, please go to https://play.sonos.com to verify as much - if it shows there, then the issue is that the mobile app can’t communicate with the speakers, rather than that they are offline. Restarting the app will be easier, and should work.

I’d normally suggest doing these one at a time, but I’d like to give things the best possible chance of going well for you.

1. When no-one is using the internet, please turn your router off for at least 30 seconds.
  2. Unplug all Sonos devices from power ( and turn off any portable speakers after removing them from charge).
  3. Turn on the router, wait for WiFi to return.
  4. Reboot devices running the Sonos app.
  5. Turn on Sonos devices
  6. Wait for flashing white lights to go away, then open the Sonos app and test

If that has not improved matters for you, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I have same problems.  Spent an hour with support yesterday to no avail.    Many people are reporting these issues and it is insulting to hear , “certainly all users” are not reporting such issues.  It sounds like this is very wide spread and totally amatuerish for Sonos to release such a sub par product without the appropriate testing.   Even worse when they say there is no target date for the fix.  

Shouldn’t there be some sort of communication from the CEO? 

I have same problems.  Spent an hour with support yesterday to no avail.    Many people are reporting these issues and it is insulting to hear , “certainly all users” are not reporting such issues.  It sounds like this is very wide spread and totally amatuerish for Sonos to release such a sub par product without the appropriate testing.   Even worse when they say there is no target date for the fix.  

Shouldn’t there be some sort of communication from the CEO? 

Well the new Sonos App is working okay for my Sonos Home setup, so maybe what you heard might in fact be true.. it finds my devices and services and plays music to any/every room or group.

I’ve had fantastic performance from my trusty Play:1s for a decade. This new controller is awful. At best, it takes 20 seconds to respond. At worst, I have to reboot my iPhone and all speakers to get it to work. If you can’t fix this I am selling the system. How did this app ever get out of development? For the love of Pete please roll it back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pubmitz 

In no way did “certainly not all users are seeing such issues” (my words) mean that not “many people are reporting these issues” (your words). They are not conflicting statements, and you should not take it as an insult.