Answered

Unable to play song ‘song’ - the song is not encoded correctly

• 15 March 2024
  • 6 replies

I was reluctant in jumping in the sonos systems but two things bought me in:

• wireless - wifi capabilities
  • being able to play music without having to keep another device connected via bluetooth.

This is so frustrating. Exactly this doesn’t work. I’m using Apple Music as a streaming service.

I have wired the Sonos Arc using utp cable and I get so often the song is not encoded correctly errors even after the song starts to play - plays for a few seconds then erorr and jumps to the new song.

Other times the song plays ok with no problems.

The quality of network transmission is top - gigabit bandwidth. No other streaming device fails (ipad, iphone, lg tv, mac, pc etc).

I have 2 days left to return the sonos - I hate to do it because it sounds and looks good, but I’m tired of this errors.

All the best.

icon

Best answer by JamMusic2024 18 March 2024, 09:14

View original

6 replies

Gigabit bandwidth tells us the speed of the internet to your router, but doesn’t say anything about the speed or quality of the connection between your router and your Sonos speakers. 

The first thing I’d do is read the wifi interference FAQ. I’d apply any potential solutions that might be given, to see if they might assist. I’d also give the Sonos devices reserved IP addresses in the router’s system, and see if that also helps the connection stabilize between the speakers and the router. 

Finally, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Dear Airgetlam,

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t expect to get an answer so fast.

Gigabit bandwidth has a lot to do with the LAN not only WAN. Imagine that every equipment is 10/100/1000 Gbps capable vs 10/100 Gbps.

Also, every test done with speedtest shows consistent results (see for example test ids 60265982376026606763).

Wifi is disabled on my ARC. It is really easy to connect to a wire.

I did a system diagnostic but unfortunately, it’s already weekend. 

Thanks to you I decided that I will not return this, the community is awesome here. If it’s defective it can be handled under warranty, otherwise I hope sonos support can fix it.

Thank you,

Sorry you chose to return, rather than to figure out what your issue was. However, all Sonos Ethernet connections are 10/100, and not gigabit speeds. They’re not supposed to be ‘in the middle’ as a network transmission device, and frankly the speed needed for audio is not gigabit by any stretch. Sonos is an endpoint Ethernet device. And certainly the WiFi chips aren’t that fast either. 

Normally, I highly discourage turning off the radio/wifi in the Sonos Arc, wired or not, as it uses that system to connect to both the Sonos Sub and any Surround speakers, using a low latency 5Ghz channel. 

Unfortunately, not being a Sonos employee, I have no access to see those submitted diagnostics, one of the reasons we ask so many questions here in this Community forum, which is why I was encouraging you to contact Sonos Support. 

Since you’ve already chosen your path, most of this data is to help others who stumble in to this thread. But I wish you the best of luck in finding a system that works the way you want it to. 

Dear Airgetlam,

I never say that I choose to return :).

I just spoke on the phone with sonos suport. They say it’s an Apple issue that apple has to solve. 

Will see how it evolves.

I wanted to  choose this reply

as best answe, but miss clicked.

My apologies, I misread your post, you indeed did not say that.